Australorps breed Thread

My grandfather always got the feet that were in the soup Grandma made. Of course they were born in Spain in the 1890's and immigrated to the USA in the early 1900's. They didn't grow up on grocery store food like most of us do these days. Waste not, want not.

Yes, but only if hey are not crowing too much. Mine usually weigh between 3.5 to 4 pounds. They are very tasty too!
That's about the same results I got at the same age, about 5 months. I usually do the bullies first, the ones that are the meanest or are human aggressive. I like a low stress flock. After that I do the ones that I'm sure I don't want to keep for breeding, since I'm going for self sufficiency and don't want to have to buy chicks every year. I've found anything over 6 months get tougher and need to cook longer. But that's fine for enchilada's. :)

988756B3-00D8-4FBA-8E1D-163C2330073B.jpeg B496C85B-1443-4358-9BC7-0BD5C6175BC5.jpeg When do Black australorp earlobes start turning red? I have a 4 week old who injured herself by scratching her head a few days ago. Her earlobes are now completely exposed because she scratched all her downy feathers off. Her earlobes were red and raw on Sunday. She’s stopped scratching so hard and we’ve put bandaids on her nails to keep her from scratching so bad, but her earlobes are still light pink. Is this normal? Pics from Saturday right after her injury and From tonight. Thanks!

View attachment 1287830 View attachment 1287831 When do Black australorp earlobes start turning red? I have a 4 week old who injured herself by scratching her head a few days ago. Her earlobes are now completely exposed because she scratched all her downy feathers off. Her earlobes were red and raw on Sunday. She’s stopped scratching so hard and we’ve put bandaids on her nails to keep her from scratching so bad, but her earlobes are still light pink. Is this normal? Pics from Saturday right after her injury and From tonight. Thanks!

It look's like she broke open the skin in that area. I hope that it doesn't get infected.

It look's like she broke open the skin in that area. I hope that it doesn't get infected.

Yes, she did scratch until she broke the skin. It was on Saturday night and it was REALLY bad. We’ve been putting neosporin on it and she’s eating/drinking/acting pretty normal so I don’t suspect an infection.

I believe All the pink gets more red when they are about to lay - 5 - 6 months..Put some tripe antibiotic on it it may itch less too . Reg not the one with pain relief

Thanks! We’ve been putting non-pain reliever neosporin, Benadryl cream and vitamin E oil! It’s definiyely gotten better over the past few days. I’m just hoping it gets better soon!

Back
Top Bottom