Australorps Breeding for SOP and Exhibition Thread

The list of multiple tests is fine. If they've run out of testing reagents, I would like further info, like for which of those tests. As I said, I have not heard anything about it.

I read some time back that the NPIP test is different in each State for the basic illnesses tested for.

Last edited:
Yes, each state can be somewhat different. The basics seem to be standard, but several states require testing for additional things, besides the basics. I think they use at least 2 reagents when they do the "field test" on mine. They put a drop of reagent on one end, then another drop of another one, on the other end. When they collect the little blood sample, they put a tiny bit on each end of the slide, for each bird, and save some to take back to the lab. They give a temporary letter, saying you passed your NPIP. The official results come back in a week, or two, with the card. (Sometimes it can take a bit longer, if the lab is really backed up.)

Yes, each state can be somewhat different. The basics seem to be standard, but several states require testing for additional things, besides the basics. I think they use at least 2 reagents when they do the "field test" on mine. They put a drop of reagent on one end, then another drop of another one, on the other end. When they collect the little blood sample, they put a tiny bit on each end of the slide, for each bird, and save some to take back to the lab. They give a temporary letter, saying you passed your NPIP. The official results come back in a week, or two, with the card. (Sometimes it can take a bit longer, if the lab is really backed up.)
Thanks for the information!

I suspect that more things are tested for if you are close to the border

It's the Pullorum Typhoid antigen that's out, and they haven't made any for something like two years now. Supposedly it's being made now and is being distributed, but different states are getting it at different times. For instance, I can't find anyone in Illinois with any yet, and I'm trying to get tested to get enrolled :sigh: The Illinois Dept of Ag fellow came out and enrolled me and gave me a list of testers, but I can't seem to get anyone to answer their phone, and the list is from 2017.

It's the Pullorum Typhoid antigen that's out, and they haven't made any for something like two years now. Supposedly it's being made now and is being distributed, but different states are getting it at different times. For instance, I can't find anyone in Illinois with any yet, and I'm trying to get tested to get enrolled :sigh: The Illinois Dept of Ag fellow came out and enrolled me and gave me a list of testers, but I can't seem to get anyone to answer their phone, and the list is from 2017.
I hope they can get to you soon!

Back
Top Bottom