Australorps have Naked Tail

Joanna6

Chirping
Dec 27, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Egg Laying Australorps have lost most of their tail feathers. Plymouth Rocks and Orpingtons are fine. Is this unique to this breed or is there something lacking in their diet or something I need to do for them? No rooster in the flock. Thanks.

Egg Laying Australorps have lost most of their tail feathers. Plymouth Rocks and Orpingtons are fine. Is this unique to this breed or is there something lacking in their diet or something I need to do for them? No rooster in the flock. Thanks.

How old are they?

If they are at least a year old it's very likely that they're molting. :)

Attachments

• IMG_6161.jpeg
    IMG_6161.jpeg
    495.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6165.jpeg
    IMG_6165.jpeg
    390.2 KB · Views: 2
No loss of feathers around neck. I have Coop, area under coop and run with 12.25 sq feet for each of 11 chickens. Have a Flock Block they've been pecking. Feeding lots of mealworms. Not sure what to do if someone is pecking.

No loss of feathers around neck. I have Coop, area under coop and run with 12.25 sq feet for each of 11 chickens. Have a Flock Block they've been pecking. Feeding lots of mealworms. Not sure what to do if someone is pecking.
What is their regular feed aside from the treats?

Based on pictures.. I'd be treating everyone for parasites.. with a permethrin based treatment. That's not pecking in MY experience.

Back
Top Bottom