Auto door crushes hen

I was just sitting here and had that very same thought,
I've seen several types of the doors each had a stainless steel door all seemed very heavy ,
I just have bought a stainless steel one, have not had time to take it out of the box and look at it yet, but they should have a safety mechanism that prevents them from coming down on the chicken! My Dorking was roosting on the opening this afternoon and chased her off after reading that posting!

I just added an auto door since I finally have power at my coop. I used a plastic cutting board for the door an be it slips behind the ledge so it can't be easily pried open. The motor is on a regular house timer and I've adjusted it over the past few nights to ensure its closing at the optimal time.

I've had chickens for about four years and have been manually opening and closing the door every day. At my last job I rotated days and nights (midnight to 8) which meant I hardly got any sleep because I couldn't sleep until the chickens were locked up, which was 9 pm on summer and I had to be up for work at 1045...and then they had to stay cooped up until I'd get home which might be 9 or even later if I ran errands after work since I was already in town. No water, no food, no room to avoid feisty cockerels. And then in winter when it was light at 8 and dark at 5 that was a pain too.

Auto doors definitely have their place
and it isn't about neglect; for me it's another tool so I can provide proper care and try to keep my birds safe.

To the OP, you should figure out why they aren't wanting to go in. Too dark, too crowded/bullies, too hot, etc.

Sorry for your loss. I have an auto door for 3 years now. It is just the module attached to a plexiglass home made door weighing about 4 lbs. Can't believe a chicken would sit there while the door is slowly closing. Mine doesn't close with a lot of force as it is the string type. I guess anything can happen with chickens!

The risk of injury probably depends on the type of door and the direction from which it closes. I have auto doors (Pullet shut brand) that swing closed from the side. As a result, the door would probably nudge the chicken into the coop if it were roosting on the pop door ledge. A door that descends from above would be more likely to crush a chicken.

It may be too dark in the coop. If they are staying out later and you don't have a lot of windows they may not be able to see well when trying to go roost.
Every year, I have juveniles that INSIST on roosting in my door way at night. It usually takes me a good week sometimes more of kicking them out of it before they get the hint.

In fact every single one of my coops will get juveniles that wanna stay out late and I DON'T use artificial light.

What makes dang teenagers think they can stay out late partying?! :barnie

If it was the breeze... I feel as though more birds would do it. I feel like it's the view. :confused:

Sorry to hear about your pullet. :(

Thank you for sharing!

Is this an auto door you made yourself?
My chickens were not roosting, so I added a light inside their coop. It is battery operated remote control. I turn it on at 9:30pm with the remote and then it shuts off by 10 pm (It has an adjustment for 30, 60, or 120 min shut off). Generally I am out there putting my ducks away at that time, so there is still ambient light from the outdoor automatic shed lights so that the chickens aren't in complete darkness all at once.
It has really helped them to roost. With my set up, I think the shed is blocking the natural light and since they go in later, they cannot see to roost. I have one that doesn't roost on the roost bar, but sits on the top of the nest box.
Not sure if anyone asked, but what type of coop do you have? Are the roosts at an appropriate height?
Oh, my chickens have an auto door - the ardor 1 and it has not squished any chickens.

I just have bought a stainless steel one, have not had time to take it out of the box and look at it yet, but they should have a safety mechanism that prevents them from coming down on the chicken! My Dorking was roosting on the opening this afternoon and chased her off after reading that posting!
I just set up my stainless steel auto chicken coop door today, but have not installed it yet. I want to see how it works for a few days first, so it is in my room. I have it set to close at 8:30 PM and I have put my dogs stuffed animal under it to see what happens.

I just set up my stainless steel auto chicken coop door today, but have not installed it yet. I want to see how it works for a few days first, so it is in my room. I have it set to close at 8:30 PM and I have put my dogs stuffed animal under it to see what happens.
Hmmm.....It just closed on my dogs teddy bear and I don't know how to lift it back up:(

The risk of injury probably depends on the type of door and the direction from which it closes. I have auto doors (Pullet shut brand) that swing closed from the side. As a result, the door would probably nudge the chicken into the coop if it were roosting on the pop door ledge. A door that descends from above would be more likely to crush a chicken.
I agree, it just crushed my dogs teddy bear!

Back
Top Bottom