Auto-sexing Pilgrim genetics.

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
I have been googling and searching and reading what I can find, but just can't seem to find the answer.

How did they create the autosexing breed? Did they just continually select for white males and grey females? Then just over time that is what the genetic information call for?

When the Pilgrim is cross with another breed, is the autosexing dominant?

Just trying to figure out how they created this autosexing breed. Thanks.

Well I may be sticking my neck out here but in the absence of any answers I'll have a go
wink.png

With auto-sexing Pilgrims I believe the colour gene responsible for their appearence (phenotype) is the Dilution gene - Sd.

This a sex linked gene meaning its carried on one of the sex chromosomes. If you thought about it Human terms then a female's sex chromosomes are XX, in a male XY. (Athough in bird's a different letter is used). However in birds this sex genotype is reversed - think of it as a Gander being XX and the Goose being XY.

Now for the sake of explanation I'll not complicate matters by giving the birds genotype but for the purposes of this explanation we'll stick to the Gander being XX and the Goose being XY. In the case of the Pilgrims the Dilution gene is carried by the X chromosome only.

Therefore a Pilgrim Gander has 2 'doses' of the Dilution gene and the Pilgrim female only has 1. The double dose acts together in the case of the male and usually turns him white. However as the female only has 1 Dilution gene she remains grey but there may be some white showing in the feathers.

Hope that helps your understanding, sorry its a bit long winded
smile.png

Pete

Back
Top Bottom