PLEASE HELP! PILGRIM GOOSE CUT BEAK

THANKS SO MUCH TO EVERYONE HERE FOR YOUR HELP AND SUPPORT~ It will be 2 weeks this Friday since Gabby's injury. The straight cut on the top beak is healing well, but there is still the small V cut at the side (outside) edge of it. (The cut injury on underside INSIDE her mouth is completely healed). WeWe HOPE in time it will fill in since it is very close to tip area. For all this time Gabby has been in the house with us, sleeping in a bin in our room. She gets a bath in the tub every day or 2 days, which she loves and goes crazy for. We put diapers on her for part of the day so she can mill around the house with us. We put her harness and leash on her and take her outside for 'walkies' down the road for a bit each day. I have never experienced anything like this, so we don't really know when we should put her back out in the coop with her duck buddies. I know she will drink the outside 'muddy', etc. water and do all the 'goose' stuff, but we don't want to risk infection. We were thinking maybe keeping her in until Jan. 12, which would be the 3 week day. We just don't know...We don't want to take chances only to find we made a wrong decision. She imprinted on us from birth so she is very happy at present. We are still putting triple antibiotic ointment on her beak several times every day and her water has apple cider vinegar with the mother in it. She is back to normal in every other way. We would just never forgive ourselves if her beak injury took a turn for the worse from being outside too soon. Any advice gratefully accepted! TOOK THESE PHOTOS TODAY. (CUT SERIOUSLY MUCH MUCH BETTER THAN WHEN IT HAPPENED!)
booboo1.jpg
booboo2.jpg
booboo3.jpg
booboo4.jpg

Last edited:
i’m so glad she is healing so well. . all i can think of is just that you may want to avoid a sudden drop in temperature for her, inside is probably 70 degrees and outside may be freezing,, i think better for her health to get used to it gradually if you can manage that Also give her some fresh water without the ACV too , so she has a choice. I think the recommendation for ACV water is five days at a time.

Last edited:
i’m so glad she is healing so well. . all i can think of is just that you may want to avoid a sudden drop in temperature for her, inside is probably 70 degrees and outside may be freezing,, i think better for her health to get used to it gradually if you can manage that Also give her some fresh water without the ACV too , so she has a choice. I think the recommendation for ACV water is five days at a time.
Thank you! Giving her normal water now today. Lol, our home is about 59-60 at night and 62 during the day (sadly for us) because of the price of fuel. (Lol, I am freezing most of the time!) We will acclimate her to the lower temps outside. She goes for the walkies and seems to love them, so no sign of her being uncomfortable so far.

Only thing I would be concerned about is her catching her bill on something like fencing until healed completely.
Did you ever figure out how she did it?
The cut sure looks like it's healing well.

Only thing I would be concerned about is her catching her bill on something like fencing until healed completely.
Did you ever figure out how she did it?
The cut sure looks like it's healing well.
We were at the grocery store. Gabby was locked in secure run with the 3 duck girls, (winter plastic on the outside). We could NOT figure out how the heck she had cut herself! There was just nothing there...Well, after looking and looking and being completely mystified, we finally determined there was only ONE thing it could have been. A metal hose clamp held the PVC pipe automatic feeder we made to the side of the run, but it was purposely turned to a pretty inaccessible side. NO issues ever before. Well she must have managed to jam her head/beak into the spot (because it was 'shiny'????) and couldn't get out without damage. We were horrified when we got home and saw her. We found a rubber hose clamp on Amazon and ordered it immediately that day. We have replaced the old clamp with the rubber one. It was just such an improbable freakish accident! Catching beak on something is my nightmare too. Luckily we do not have any fencing that would pose a problem however, which is good. Where there is fencing (around bee yard and garden) it is wood and of the wide horizontal, or picket variety). Because the beak grows from the top down and not from the tip, there is a good chance in time the area of the cut will be completely gone, but that could be months or even a year. I think she will have to go back out in the coop within a few weeks or less, and we'll have to keep watch. Nothing now in the coop or run that could possibly cause any injury. Maybe we'll have to not let her out to forage this winter. Hate to keep her in the run all the time, but as you say I would freak if anything else happened to her beak!

Last edited:
We were at the grocery store. Gabby was locked in secure run with the 3 duck girls, (winter plastic on the outside). We could NOT figure out how the heck she had cut herself! There was just nothing there...Well, after looking and looking and being completely mystified, we finally determined there was only ONE thing it could have been. A metal hose clamp held the PVC pipe automatic feeder we made to the side of the run, but it was purposely turned to a pretty inaccessible side. NO issues ever before. Well she must have managed to jam her head/beak into the spot (because it was 'shiny'????) and couldn't get out without damage. We were horrified when we got home and saw her. We found a rubber hose clamp on Amazon and ordered it immediately that day. We have replaced the old clamp with the rubber one. It was just such an improbable freakish accident! Catching beak on something is my nightmare too. Luckily we do not have any fencing that would pose a problem however, which is good. Where there is fencing (around bee yard and garden) it is wood and of the wide horizontal, or picket variety). Because the beak grows from the top down and not from the tip, there is a good chance in time the area of the cut will be completely gone, but that could be months or even a year. I think she will have to go back out in the coop within a few weeks or less, and we'll have to keep watch. Nothing now in the coop or run that could possibly cause any injury. Maybe we'll have to not let her out to forage this winter. Hate to keep her in the run all the time, but as you say I would freak if anything else happened to her beak!
I have had a few house guest over the years, I can tell you even though they dont feel good at the time the experience is amazing and never forgettable. I have 3 girls and one boy in the pasture and when I call them by name you know they never forgot living in my living room. They all answer back like calling roll in a school. Andy mumbles Hear! April mumbles Hear! Tetoo grumbles Yay I heard you but over Here with my man. MayDay did you have to ask Im right Here! But I will answer anyway Hear! They are a extension of our family but best of all we are the most important part of there flock. You have done a wonderful job helping her heal!!! My heart is with you.

I have had a few house guest over the years, I can tell you even though they dont feel good at the time the experience is amazing and never forgettable. I have 3 girls and one boy in the pasture and when I call them by name you know they never forgot living in my living room. They all answer back like calling roll in a school. Andy mumbles Hear! April mumbles Hear! Tetoo grumbles Yay I heard you but over Here with my man. MayDay did you have to ask Im right Here! But I will answer anyway Hear! They are a extension of our family but best of all we are the most important part of there flock. You have done a wonderful job helping her heal!!! My heart is with you.
That is so sweet. Missy my goose loves to talk back to me. I love how they know their names and I can say Missy where are you and she'll answer and come to see what I am doing. This past summer my Muscovy hatched 2 Runner drakes and when she was done raising them Missy took over these 2 boys are going to be 7 months old the 14th of this month and she and them are like 3 peas in a pod. This is the happiest she has been since she lost her mate in 2021. They are such awesome creatures. I am hoping she'll keep these boys under control when hormones begin in February becasue we all know geese don't like it when other ones in their flock are mating. lol Her and Sam would always break up mating with the ducks and chickens .

Last edited:
Thank you so much! Your comment is just the BEST!!! Love to all your goose friends! Aren't they so wonderful??! I will never forget this Christmas. We spent it by ourselves nursing Gabby and spending time with our hens and 3 ducks too. Perfect, as far as we are concerned! Memories I will treasure forever.

redcoat_wolfeboro copy.jpg

poster23_cover copy 3.jpg

❤️

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom