PLEASE HELP! PILGRIM GOOSE CUT BEAK

We were at the grocery store. Gabby was locked in secure run with the 3 duck girls, (winter plastic on the outside). We could NOT figure out how the heck she had cut herself! There was just nothing there...Well, after looking and looking and being completely mystified, we finally determined there was only ONE thing it could have been. A metal hose clamp held the PVC pipe automatic feeder we made to the side of the run, but it was purposely turned to a pretty inaccessible side. NO issues ever before. Well she must have managed to jam her head/beak into the spot (because it was 'shiny'????) and couldn't get out without damage. We were horrified when we got home and saw her. We found a rubber hose clamp on Amazon and ordered it immediately that day. We have replaced the old clamp with the rubber one. It was just such an improbable freakish accident! Catching beak on something is my nightmare too. Luckily we do not have any fencing that would pose a problem however, which is good. Where there is fencing (around bee yard and garden) it is wood and of the wide horizontal, or picket variety). Because the beak grows from the top down and not from the tip, there is a good chance in time the area of the cut will be completely gone, but that could be months or even a year. I think she will have to go back out in the coop within a few weeks or less, and we'll have to keep watch. Nothing now in the coop or run that could possibly cause any injury. Maybe we'll have to not let her out to forage this winter. Hate to keep her in the run all the time, but as you say I would freak if anything else happened to her beak!
Glad to hear she’s doing better!

Back
Top Bottom