countryladyNH

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 22, 2016
New Hampshire USA
My Coop
My Coop
PLEASE HELP!
I hope you get this message and can help! We were getting groceries yesterday AM and when we came home, our 6 1/2 month (full grown) Pilgrim goose Gabby's beak was bleeding, some blood spatter in the run (from her shaking head), and we quickly saw that somehow she had a clean cut side to side, just up from the white tip most of the way to the inside of mouth. We were freaking. We have NO idea how she manged this. The wire sides of the run are coated and the 'squares' are big---she could easily get her head out of one, but we have never seen her do anything like play with the run sides. We have looked and could find NOTHING sharp that would cause a cut. We are mystified. We cleaned the cut well, stopped any bleeding quickly, and wrapped with a skinny piece of Vetwrap right now that goes all around inside (roof of mouth at tip), but not too thick. We didn't know what to do. There is a very small actual piece missing from beak about 1/2 way into the cut---tiny triangular piece. We put her in a bin in our bedroom, and she did fine last night. She is drinking some water and she ate some peeled cucumber cut up, but that's all. She slept all night. No breathing interference. She seems calm and happy to be with us unless we try messing with it to wrap or clean of course. We are terrified that this won't 'close' up and would tear off. We have NO avian vet here, and it would be cost prohibitive for us anyway. Not an option. I am hoping some here can help with advising us as to care. Hubby is out feeding chickens and ducks. As soon as he can come in and hold her I can unwrap this and take photos for you. We are keeping Gabby in with us and are trying to get help as to all we can do. Any suggestions are welcome. We are so upset. Gabby is our baby.

5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I believe that will heal, but I would keep her where she can't catch it on anything, you know how geese are always poking their bills in tight places. When my gander poked a hole in his bill I used ACV with Mother in his drinking dunking bucket this solution helped to heal and helped to clean out nasty bacteria. The hole filled in and couldn't even tell he had done it. 1-2 Tabs per gallon. I won't burn at this strength. Def use a soft diet while this is healing. FF would be good. I don't think I would use super glue on this.Trying to pull the bill together to use the glue would cause her bill to be out of shape. Looking at the picture.

I believe that will heal, but I would keep her where she can't catch it on anything, you know how geese are always poking their bills in tight places. When my gander poked a hole in his bill I used ACV with Mother in his drinking dunking bucket this solution helped to heal and helped to clean out nasty bacteria. The hole filled in and couldn't even tell he had done it. 1-2 Tabs per gallon. I won't burn at this strength. Def use a soft diet while this is healing. FF would be good. I don't think I would use super glue on this.Trying to pull the bill together to use the glue would cause her bill to be out of shape. Looking at the picture.
Thank you for responding. LOL, we are ignorant; what is FF?

This maybe a little hard to understand but the gest is ACV can help with MARSA and Staff and even Ecoli and is a good way to keep from having to use so many antibiotics which can cause resistance. I would def start with the ACV
sorry
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7817673/
Thanks! We do have that natural ACV and are making some water up with it right now. No FF, and we live in the country and it's Christmas, but we do have chick starter which we will mix with warmed water to soft. She did eat some cucumber pieces.

Back
Top Bottom