Automatic door shuts on chickens.

totallyroosted3

Hatching
Jun 5, 2016
I am new to chickens and our 5 week old chickens have been in there coop for a week now. They go in at night but huddle half in and half out the door. When the automatic door shuts they just sit there and let the door come down on them pinning them in the doorway. I use a light inside to get the in and turn it off once they are all in. The have food and water in the back to entice them to go all the way in but choose to stay in the doorway. Has anyone had this issue or a similar one? I would love any input on how to keep them inside all the way.

They are young and frightened. I would expect it to take a while for them to feel comfortable. They have no mother hen to call them inside and to let them know it's safe. You can try a night light, but personally I wouldn't use the automatic door until they are bit older and expect to go out and put them to bed for a while until they grow up some, you have to be their mother hen.

Do you have a window in your coop? If it is dark in your coop and lighter outside, they'll tend to stay where they can see. If that's the case, a night light on a timer can really help.

And I agree, you'll need to put them to bed until they get the routine down. They're still little.

Last night I went out a little early and placed them on the roosting bar. Normally they jump right off and right to the door but this time they stayed. I went out later around the time the door shuts and they were all right where I left them. I will continue to put them in and on the roosting bar and see how things go. Thanks for all the input. I have a few more chickens coming today so I better get used to the process lol.

We have 2 Buff Orpingtons and 1 black Australorp currently. We ordered 3 Golden Campines that should arrive today or tomorrow. It has been a lot of fun so far and I can't wait for the new additions.

We have 2 Buff Orpingtons and 1 black Australorp currently. We ordered 3 Golden Campines that should arrive today or tomorrow. It has been a lot of fun so far and I can't wait for the new additions.
Welcome to BYC!
How old are the new ones?
Do you have a plan for integration?

Good job in the 'roosting lesson'.
Have you disconnected the auto door for now?

Hey thanks for the welcome, everyone here seems great. My current chickens are 5 weeks old and the new ones will comes as chicks. I'm still trying to find the right way to integrate them together when the time comes. I am still using the automatic door and just going out a little before it shuts to let them all in. I wait until it closes to make sure they don't try wandering out and get caught or stuck outside. If you have tips on the best time to add the new chickens to coop i'm all ears. I was going to add them at six to eight weeks but again i'm still reading to find the best way.

Hey thanks for the welcome, everyone here seems great. My current chickens are 5 weeks old and the new ones will comes as chicks. I'm still trying to find the right way to integrate them together when the time comes. I am still using the automatic door and just going out a little before it shuts to let them all in. I wait until it closes to make sure they don't try wandering out and get caught or stuck outside. If you have tips on the best time to add the new chickens to coop i'm all ears. I was going to add them at six to eight weeks but again i'm still reading to find the best way.
It's not so much when, as how.
Best to house them right next to each other, but separated by wire, as soon as possible.
Small doors in chick enclosure allows them to roam with the biggers but have a safe haven to escape to that biggers can't get into.

How big is your coop and run(each in feet by feet)? Pics would be very helpful too.
Power in coop for heating chicks? I use a heating pad and get them out to coop by one week old.
What is your climate? Putting your location in your profile can really help folks give better answers/suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom