Average Price on The Following

SunshineSteedFarm

Seramatching Equestrian
10 Years
Aug 18, 2009
Georgia
I need some help making an estimate on how much these breeds would cost on average(without shipping, just the price for the bird alone). I am wanting to buy either breeder quality or show quality birds. But only local shows, not big shows
wink.png

Cochin Bantams
Rooster or Cockerel
Pullet or Hen

Dutch Bantams
Rooster or Cockerel
Pullet or Hen

Polish
Rooster or Cockerel
Pullet or Hen

Silkie
Rooster or Cockerel
Pullet or Hen

Serama
Rooster or Cockerel
Pullet or Hen

Or maybe the average price on a pair or trio of these breeds.
Sorry if my question is a bit confusing.

Thank you!

And I also know that certain colors would up the price a bit. But I really dont mind which colors
smile.png

Last edited:
I don't think there are any "average" prices. They can vary greatly by quality. SQ would be much more than breeder or pet quality. And SQ prices can vary a lot, and it also depends who the seller is. Designer breeders get a lot more for their birds.
wink.png

im in bc canada and i paid...

$60 for a SQ trio of japanese (same as seramas i beleave?)
$40 for a SQ pair of cochins
will be buying this weekend- $40 for a juvenile pair of polish (not sure if SQ yet, possibly)

but yes it depends on location and also quality, there are not a ton of chicken shows in my area either, so im not sure what kind of company my birds won in (previous owner showed, i will be entering a few this year and hopefully more next year assuming good condition and not molting at show time again)

For excellent quality breeder/show bantam cochins usually start 40.00 to 50.00 each, some breeders charge as much as 100 each for their very best. I've seen an occasional cochin(s) go for much higher on Eggbid when a Master Breeder/Exhibitor has them for sale. If your interested in Cochins, you can visit the Cochin International website, lots of good information there along with reputable breeders, you may even find someone in your area to buy from:)

Shari

It depends on the variety, breeder, and individual bird. I've seen SQ cochins for $25-100 each, BQ or SQ silkies: $50-200 each, BQ or SQ polish: $30-150 each, seramas: $25-200 each. It can vary greatly.

An uncommon variety which may be hard to acquire may go for much more than a more common one, even if the type isn't as great.

Your best bet would be to attend a show and speak with the breeders and see if they have what you're looking for or if they know of anyone who may.

Last edited:
Great quality Dutch run $100 per Pair or Trio depending on the breeder.

The American Dutch Society would be a good start to find reputable breeders.

Matt

Rooster or Cockerel: SQ, $100-150 or much more
Pullet or Hen:SQ, $100-150 or much more

It varies greatly!

Quote:
Japanese are absolutely, completely and totally different than seramas! Different breed, different standards, different characteristics, different size, different temperament, different everything! They look similiar because japanese have squirrel tails and long wings, but they are not supposed to look like this (serama breed standard photo from scnaonline.org)
23256_serama_standard_male.jpg

I am the District 3 Director of the American Dutch Bantam Society. I have been breeding Dutch since 2004, and won the Eastern National with a bird of my own breeding in '07. We do very well at shows with our Dutch, regularly winning BB, and last year my daughter won CH Bantam in youth at Lucasville with one of our pullets.

I charge $50 per bird for my Dutch. These are started birds that have been through several evaluations for culling. Potentially, the ones I sell are show quality, although anyone who guarantees that a given started bird will be SQ is fooling someone (either themselves or the buyer.)

I know breeders of Dutch who charge more than I do, and some who charge less. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase $100 birds from LeJean Marshall, and have done so in the past.
wink.png

To a certain degree, a thing is worth what you pay for it. I feel like $50 per bird for my Dutch is a reasonable price, as I've been breeding for five years and do well at shows.

I also have bred Silkies in the past (we are in the process of getting out of them now) and know that SQ Silkies go for insane prices, especially Whites. But then Silkie people are all a little crazy.

Back
Top Bottom