Average (yeah…I know!) cost of coop and run?

MagistraTn

Songster
Feb 1, 2022
East Tennessee
We are learning and I’d like to avoid wasting any more money. My husband is more concerned than me about the costs, I see it as an investment in our home, self sufficiency and health (mental & physical).

anyhow, we bought a tsc coop kit, which is clearly too small for our 7 chicks (now 1 week old). $500 but our son loved every minute of building it, and I figure it will always find a use on our homestead so not a complete waste.

ive found a guy to build a 10x16’ run for us. He has a good plan which also includes option to build a proper 4x10’ coop at one end. He has provided detailed materials costs and reasonable labor rates:

mobile Run on wheels (to fertilize and provide more pecking for the hens) with chicken wire (our crappy coop somehow integrated) I think he has planned a full roof. c. $2000
10x16_coop_2048x.jpg

upgrade to hardware cloth and fixed in place c.$4000

i asked about the cost to build the 4x10’ coop and it was an additional $3500, so $8000 total, including our mistake coop.

husband thinks go for the chicken wire and low cost. (This is a temporary home for us while we build our forever home where I will (have someone) transform an old milking barn for the flock) We just moved to the area, and I am certain there are hawks, raccoons and coyotes, but I don’t know how prevalent they are.

we are not handy people (except our son, who is 12 and lacking power tools), in Our mid 50s and soft from living in suburbia. What is a reasonable price tag here? We don’t want to be scrambling golden eggs!🤪

what would you do? We have money, but try to be good stewards of God’s provisions. I’m inclined to try and use out tsc coop and perhaps add a hardware cloth skirt to the run, but we also want it to look nice as we are only on 1/2 an acre here. I think it (a high quality egg factory) would add value when we go to sell or rent this property in a couple of years.

Personally I think it seeks expensive. $2000 just for adding hardware cloth? (Which in my personal opinion you want over chicken wire, it just more secure)

A lot of us aren't super handy but building a coop can be pretty easy. We build a 6x6 coop and 15 x 4 run this past spring for just around $1000, but we had some supplies at home. Can you check craigslist or similar for supplies or even coops? I know around here, there are new coops running around $1500.

If you're willing to consider a hoop coop you can save on materials and get a little experience with building that will serve you well later -- it's never too late to learn new skills.

Hoop Coops

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hoop-tractor.69336/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hoop-coop-brooder-with-roll-up-sides.75720/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-biddie-bordello-a-hoop-coop-run-combo.72189/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/permanent-hoop-coop-guide.47818/

Do not use chicken wire if you can avoid it. Or, at the least, put a layer of 2x4 wire over the lower section of it. Raccoons and coyotes will find your chickens.

Are there any handy people within your social groups who might be willing to help and teach you? We're handy, but we often get extra hands from my sister and her husband, from our gaming group, and from our church. :)

I’d look into buying a dog kennel like what some farm stores sell, with a metal wire “roof” and roof tarps sold for that purpose. TSC would have these on display around this time of the year, with their chicks inside this kennel in the store. They are attractive, as the ones I’ve seen have a peaked roof. Your coop can fit inside it, most likely without issue. It is transportable to new property. It can easily get a HWC apron applied.

I’d look into buying a dog kennel like what some farm stores sell, with a metal wire “roof” and roof tarps sold for that purpose. TSC would have these on display around this time of the year, with their chicks inside this kennel in the store. They are attractive, as the ones I’ve seen have a peaked roof. Your coop can fit inside it, most likely without issue. It is transportable to new property. It can easily get a HWC apron applied.
x2. A dog kennel is a good starting structure for a run or possibly an open air coop/run combo, and generally reasonably priced for what it is. Attaching HWC (aproned out and up a few feet as the absolute minimum for security) would be advisable and a bit of a project, but I did by myself so it's not an unreasonable amount of work to put in, even with no prior experience, if you do a bit at a time.

If you were planning on staying there long term I could much more easily justify spending money to have something built to your needs, but if it's short term it's not a great investment.

You could check with a shed builder to order a pre-built. Should be a few thousand less.

Or have your builder build the frame but leave off any wire, then add the hardware cloth yourselves. Shop around for the best price of big rolls of it (we were getting 100' x 4' of 19-guage 1/2" for $130 last year) Buy a bunch of screws and washers, good shears to cut the wire, an impact drill, and go to town!

E. TN has all the predators. Chicken wire might not let you sleep well at night.

Edited to add: echoing what others said to get more quotes. Always a good idea to get 3 quotes! Things are expensive, but that's an awfully high price.

And you're right that it'll take forever to make the math work 🙃 You're not just housing them; you're feeding them, taking them to the occasional vet visit, upgrading fencing and predator proofing...but the real rewards aren't financial. Same with pretty much everything to do with homesteading. The costs of establishing a homestead are stunning and were even pre-pandemic.

It was a good move to start with 7! Seems like a lot of first-timers dive in with 25+ chicks before realizing how big they get and how much room chickens truly need to stay healthy. Healthy chickens = happy you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom