Avian influenza found in South Carolina

No I would not eat any sick looking animals either. What about the ducks that carry disease without showing symptoms? They say cooking properly will take care of that but?? I think I would pass on wild duck eating altogether. Thankfully not an issue for me.

Since commercial turkeys have been so affected by this I have been wondering about wild turkeys as we have a lot of them in our area. Has anyone heard or read of any being affected? I don't think I've seen any listed on aphis. I wonder if any have been tested?

No I would not eat any sick looking animals either. What about the ducks that carry disease without showing symptoms? They say cooking properly will take care of that but?? I think I would pass on wild duck eating altogether. Thankfully not an issue for me.

Since commercial turkeys have been so affected by this I have been wondering about wild turkeys as we have a lot of them in our area. Has anyone heard or read of any being affected? I don't think I've seen any listed on aphis. I wonder if any have been tested?
I read somewhere that wild turkey don't hang out by waterfowl so not as likely to get it.... although in a local river park, I have seen geese in the field the turkeys use at a different time.....
Also read the mortality of turkey was almost 100% so not likely to shoot one. And I can tell you trying to find one of my turkeys that are hiding is difficult. I found bones and feathers from one I thought I had looked at that area 20 times and missed her.

I read somewhere that wild turkey don't hang out by waterfowl so not as likely to get it.... although in a local river park, I have seen geese in the field the turkeys use at a different time.....
Also read the mortality of turkey was almost 100% so not likely to shoot one. And I can tell you trying to find one of my turkeys that are hiding is difficult. I found bones and feathers from one I thought I had looked at that area 20 times and missed her.

Mortality that high guess not likely to shoot one. Just found it odd that none have been found but vultures have been found positive and they clean up so much.

well, I found an article that I thought was interesting on bird flu in NC.
https://chathamnewsrecord.com/stori...urges-residents-to-be-aware-of-bird-flu,15030

6th paragraph down :

"
Raper said he asked officials at N.C. Wildlife Resources if the deceased birds needed to be sent off for testing to determine if they indeed had bird flu. The state said testing isn’t needed when it comes to wild birds.

Despite not knowing for certain if the buzzards died from bird flu, Raper said town staff are treating the situation as if it were confirmed to be."

so my question is, where does APHIS get their info. on wild birds if testing isn't necessary?
looks like none listed at the USDA APHIS site since mid November per NC.
:confused:❓

Back
Top Bottom