Avian Influenza - time to show symptoms?

Ted Brown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Dec 12, 2018
near Shawville Quebec Canada
My Coop
My Coop
In August I arranged to get a Chantecler cockerel and 4 pullets, agreement was I would pickup in early December.

I have reached out to the breeder and have been advised that AI has been detected in a commercial turkey farm 10km away approximately 3 weeks ago.

I have done further investigation with the Canada Farm Inspection Agency and see that more active cases are present in southern Quebec although not in close proximity to my breeder.

He advised of the situation immediately when I contacted him and has confined his birds in covered cages. He also wants to wait to see if any signs of AI present.

Would appreciate any information and advice on how long AI takes to show together with any cautions given my desire to aquire these Chanteclers.

Thanks.

If I wanted the chickens then I'd get them when available. The incubation period is a week or less. Despite the outbreaks and cause for concern, the odds of getting it are actually pretty low.
The Chanteclers will continue to be available, the breeder is exercising extra caution which from my perspective is a good thing.

Can you provide authoritive sources for your statements re "a week or less" and "odds of getting it... pretty low"?

I understand that:
- if AI is detected all birds in a flock are culled
- AI persists in bedding and soil for 100 days.

While I only have a small flock and the economic consequences are minimal I want authoritive information on which to base my decision.

Notwithstanding I appreciate your input.

The Chanteclers will continue to be available, the breeder is exercising extra caution which from my perspective is a good thing.

Can you provide authoritive sources for your statements re "a week or less" and "odds of getting it... pretty low"?

I understand that:
- if AI is detected all birds in a flock are culled
- AI persists in bedding and soil for 100 days.

While I only have a small flock and the economic consequences are minimal I want authoritive information on which to base my decision.

Notwithstanding I appreciate your input.
Not all birds that contract Bird Flu show symptoms.
There is more than one type of Bird Flu. The two most common are LPAI and HPAI.
One would need to be a very competent breeder to recognise which type of Bird Flu has been contracted without lab testing.

Edit.
There is of course the problem that should a breeder believe their stock has been infected would you trust them to report it given their entire stock will get killed and their business shut down.

@Shadrach I have read that wild birds commonly do not show symptoms, is this what you are referring to?

Either type of AI would deter me from obtaining birds from that source.

In Canada commercial breeders are compensated for losses in confirmed cases. The breeder I am dealing with is "small" but well established, reputable, specialized; has Chanteclers (4 blood lines) as well as heritage turkeys. He notified me of his circumstances immediately and is withholding sale until he is satisfied his farm has not been affected.

Would your breeder be willing to sell you some hatching eggs?

McMurray Hatchery had a barn get closed down due to AI, but they were able to keep the eggs from those hens & move them to a non-infected area to rebuild their stock.

Would your breeder be willing to sell you some hatching eggs?

Yes, fertilized eggs are available.

However, this translates to ~9 months before I would have laying pullets. Given a 50%(?) hatch rate and a ~50% ratio of male to female birds it is a long time to establish a productive and viable flock.

I am trying to short cut the process.

Yes, fertilized eggs are available.

However, this translates to ~9 months before I would have laying pullets. Given a 50%(?) hatch rate and a ~50% ratio of male to female birds it is a long time to establish a productive and viable flock.

I am trying to short cut the process.
I understand. Just wanted to provide a backup if his flock does get affected as your source would be gone at that point.

AI Useful Info:

1. Two types of concern; Highly Pathogenic and Low Pathogenic Avian Influenza A Viruses. LPAI can evolve to HPAI.
2. Symptoms can develop within 4 days and can spread rapidly either through direct contact with infected birds or contact with infected surfaces.
3. Most common in wild aquatic birds, often with no symptoms. Can infect both domesticated birds and humans.
4. Signs of bird flu
  • lack of energy, movement or appetite.
  • decreased egg production.
  • swelling around the head, neck and eyes.
  • coughing, gasping for air or sneezing.
  • nervous signs, tremors or lack of coordination.
  • diarrhea.
  • sudden death
Links:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/index.htm
https://inspection.canada.ca/animal...ian-influenza/eng/1323990856863/1323991018946

Last edited:
AI Useful Info:

1. Two types of concern; Highly Pathogenic and Low Pathogenic Avian Influenza A Viruses. LPAI can evolve to HPAI.
2. Symptoms can develop within 4 days and can spread rapidly either through direct contact with infected birds or contact with infected surfaces.
3. Most common in wild aquatic birds, often with no symptoms. Can infect both domesticated birds and humans.
4. Signs of bird flu
  • lack of energy, movement or appetite.
  • decreased egg production.
  • swelling around the head, neck and eyes.
  • coughing, gasping for air or sneezing.
  • nervous signs, tremors or lack of coordination.
  • diarrhea.
  • sudden death
Links:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/index.htm
https://inspection.canada.ca/animal...ian-influenza/eng/1323990856863/1323991018946
how long is it from the time symptoms show to death? Ive had a Roo thats been sneezing for almost 3 months

Back
Top Bottom