Avoiding a chicken fight!!!!!

Heatherschicks1

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 18, 2014
So I am a little worried about introducing my new flock to my old one... I rescued 15 hens last year along with a rooster. I had my trial and error and hatched some babies, I did a lot of reading about how to introduce them soooo... I built a pen in the coop with the baby birds surrounded with chicken wire so they can all see each other.... Then the other day all the hens were outside except one and so I left the door open in the coop thinking everything would have been fine since the rooster was outside and it was just the hen and the babies... Now they were hatched some in late November some in December,.. So there not baby babies lol... But the hen started a fight with one of the smaller hens and I actually had 4 out of 6 being new roosters... Numbers were not in my favor lol.. Now I planned on getting rid of my older rooster he is mean to say the least and my new roosters love people... Needless to say the hen started fighting with any of them that jumped out and my baby roosters were not happy and became kinda aggressive towards the hen... They weren't mad at me for breaking up the chicken fight but I want to avoid this as much as possible... Any advice??

If they have the room to run from the fight. The best thing you can do is let them fight and run away themselves. The fighting dies down quicker if you let them resolve it. Unless of course there is a bleeding wound. Getting rid of a couple of the cockerels now wouldn't bed a bad thing.

If they have the room to run from the fight. The best thing you can do is let them fight and run away themselves. The fighting dies down quicker if you let them resolve it. Unless of course there is a bleeding wound. Getting rid of a couple of the cockerels now wouldn't bed a bad thing.
x2

I had already intended on getting rid of my male that I had which is hard he is a handsome road island red rooster

But he became aggressive a few months back honestly scared me cause he hadn't done that but I stood my ground and make him leave the coop now when I go into clean or feed.. But yeah bad odds 4 out of 6 being roosters... Idk could I cook them?? I heard rooster was tough... I have a tetra tent rooster a barred rock rooster and two brown ones of corse they are mix breeds but the tetra tent he is also my most vocal he is the one that attacked the hen back... I have been so worried that the mean rooster would hurt the little ones but idk this set me back to ask the question. At what age should I put them all together and when would the new roosters become fertile??

Last edited:
The best time to put them together is before they mature sexually around 16 weeks. After that they are much more likely to fight hard. Even with them introduced before maturity there can be a few chases and fights. Yes you can cook them. Generally the older they are they longer you have to cook them, think crock pot not fry.

That's what I was trying to do but with the winter wether it made it very hard. They are around that 16 week mark give or take.. I just know my rooster is 3x there size. When do the younger roosters start to mate or try to with the hens?

The best time to put them together is before they mature sexually around 16 weeks. After that they are much more likely to fight hard. Even with them introduced before maturity there can be a few chases and fights. Yes you can cook them. Generally the older they are they longer you have to cook them, think crock pot not fry.

Back
Top Bottom