shelbylewis

Songster
Jun 3, 2018
SJ New Jersey
Hi everyone! One of my hens has gone broody. She was a rescue so I have no idea how old she is (young, if I had to guess), what breed she is, or if she has done this before. I currently have two coops in my backyard. The smaller coop is the one that this particular hen is in along with another hen (unknown age, breed, etc.) and a rooster that I believe is an Olive Egger thanks to the help of this page! Again, these three were rescues and came together. I would never keep only two hens with one roo, these poor girls barely have any feathers on their back. In my big coop I have an Ayam Cemani rooster and a variety of hens. Among that variety is one of my favorites - my lavender ameraucana - named Lyla. She is beautiful and very calm, somewhat docile, I can pick her up if I have to but she doesn't necessarily love it. If I am in the run she will stay by me and jump up on my lap to kick one of my lap chickens off (jealous!) lol. Anyway, I stole some of Lyla's eggs and stuck them under the broody hen in the small coop to hatch. I am curious to what these chicks will look like. I also want to know if the roosters temperament is dominant or not, because I can NOT stand my AC roo! He is so skittish & flighty it drives me crazy. Please post pictures of your AC/LA crosses if anyone has done this before :love

Also, I have read that it is better to be safe than sorry when it comes to letting mama hatch her chicks in the coop with the other chickens. I do not think this hen would be able to protect her babies, she is definitely last in the pecking order and she is very tiny. I need some really cheap DIY brooder/coop ideas for mama and eventually chicks!

I will post pictures of my 3 rescue misfits, let me know what breed you guys think they are...if any in particular. Oh and both of the rescued hens pictured below have an extra toe. Very curious about what those chicks will look like as well. The hen that has gone broody is the small black one. Black hen lays white eggs and white hen lays tan eggs.

IMG_0819.jpg IMG_2303.jpg IMG_2305.jpg IMG_2302.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_2302.PNG
    IMG_2302.PNG
    4 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I think all the chicks from that mix will be black. I know that lavender is black based and black is dominate. They will probably have beards and pea combs too. I think your black hen may have some silkie in her, but it is hard to tell from that photo.

I have a video on YouTude with AC and AC LA mix chicks.
Dust Bath In The Sun. FreeBird.Farm Video #2
The mix chicks have a comb like the LA and are black. They aren't as black skinned as AC though. Some grew up looking more like AC but when they started laying eggs, the eggs were green. They are supper nice and sweet hens.

The extra toe hens look like they are crossed with Silkie. I used to have a silkie crossed with Ayam Cemani. She had the feather feet. She is in that video, I posted above. You can see she's laying down in front. Another half Silkie half Ayam Cemani walked by, and you only see their feathered feet. A neighbor adopted them both. They got bigger than their parents though, before I had to give them a new home. I wish I could keep them all.

You have some really good looking chooks! I hope your AC LA chicks are all nice like your hen :D

Where in those pics is the AC rooster?
AC Rooster and LA hen are not pictured. The pictures above are of the three I adopted, unknown age/breed. However, from a previous thread I posted, it seemed most people suspected the roo to be olive egger. Just was not sure about the two hens. Also, it turns out the white hen was broody too. I put some fertile eggs from my other coop in a separate nesting box and she nestled down and tucked them right under.

Back
Top Bottom