<b>EGG BOUND HEN????

bkterry

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 6, 2008
My silkie hen is about 9 mos. old and has been laying steadily for the last two months. About two days ago I noticed she had spent most of the day in her nesting box, but hadn't laid an egg. Since then she has continued to sit in the box (with no other eggs under her either so she isn't broody) trying to lay but has yet to produce an egg. She doesn't seem distressed, but I am worry she may be egg bound. I tried putting lubricant around her vent, but that hasn't seemed to help. Is there any way to tell if she is egg bound and does anyone have any suggestions for helping her pass the egg?? I just don't want to lose her!

My silkie has been sitting for almost 2 months on nothing....she hasn't laid for that time and only laid for 2 weeks before that. Been told she is just broody and despite what I try she just keeps on sitting. I wouldn't worry unless she exhibits odd behaviour or appears sick (thats what i've read here). Don't think mine will ever lay again as my youngest has just started laying and this has made her worse if anything!
rant.gif

well maybe that's what's goin on with my hen. i actually tried leaving a clutch of her eggs in the coop for a few days a couple weeks back just to see if she would go broody, but she didn't show any interest in it! So, I guess now she's going to go broody with no eggs....figures!
roll.png

I have a 1 y.o golden comet that hasn't laid an egg in about a month. I was wondering (even though I'm not going to) at what point a farmer culls a non-laying bird.

i just lost a hen to egg bound the egg inside of her broke and killed her so if you even think a little she is egg bound i would check her to realy make sure..

I tried to feel around to see if I could feel an egg inside of her, but I didn't feel anything. But, I wasn't real sure exactly where the egg should be if she had one in her. I'm hoping that she is just broody...she sits where she would usually lay, but she is not huffy and puffy so I guess she isn't trying to lay. Being broody just never crossed my mind since there were no eggs in there, but from what I've heard it's not uncommon with the silkies.

tinman9952, I don't think a one year old hen should be culled.... I would check her conditions and make sure she is still getting plenty of calcium in her diet and lots of water. I've had dry spells with my hens, but they usually pick back up. A hen's best laying years are always the first two from what I've hear, but I've also read that they will lay every year, just a little more infrequently each year as time passes.

I'd like to join in with a complaint of a non laying hen. Shirley my red star point of lay hen is simply not laying. Her face stays bright red She is fully mature and over due as far I can tell. My husband teases me that his finches will lay before my chickens do.

10861_beccaderek_012.jpg

Last edited:
I don't mind the lack of eggs, it's the strunty,defiant, 'teenage like' behaviour that gets frustrating . When she wants back in....the entire street knows!!!! If she wasn't so loud I'd leave her out for longer to see if that stopped her sitting.

rebeccakeesee, how old is your hen and has she ever laid before? If she hasn't started laying yet then she may just be a late bloomer. Different breeds of chickens will start laying at different ages, and sorry I'm not real familiar with that breed. I know my brahmas are real slow maturers so I don't expect eggs from them for another couple of months. And of course I'm sure it varies from chicken to chicken...just like humans they probably hit puberty at different times. if she's been laying a suddenly quit first check the diet and climate. If it's way too hot or too cold they won't lay. After that check and see if there is something else that may be stressing her out...
hmm.png

still think it's just broody behaviour....like I said, mine has been sitting for 2 months on nothing...heard many stories like it in here...especially silkies. Guy I'm buying new one's from quotes 'short lay-sit all day!'
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom