Babies on The Way From Mt. Healthy Sooooooooon!!!

Farmgirl1878

Crowing
7 Years
Mar 17, 2017
Piketon, Ohio
My Coop
My Coop
My Speckled Sussex, Dottie, has been broody for about ten days now. And when I say broody, I mean she is READY for chicks! Our local Rural King and Tractor Supply stores haven't gotten any breeds that I want and don't expect to for quite some time. Sooooo, I started the disappointing online search of hatcheries. I have a small flock of seven girls, six of whom are going to be three years old this year, and I want to keep my flock small to allow the girls to have plenty of room in the 8' by 25' run and the 8' by 16' coop. With that in mind, I wanted to order three to five female chicks. And even more specifically, I was looking only at Brahmas or Cochins as I love their personalities and want to continue to have a laid-back flock.

NO ONE had Brahmas or Cochins in stock except Mt. Healthy, which happens to be about an hour away from us. Unfortunately, they don't raise Cochins, so I'm still without a Partridge Cochin or a sister to my Blue Cochin Blue, but I was able to order five Brahmas! They hatch on the 9th, so should be here shortly thereafter. Now I'm just hoping that Dot wakes up on the 11th and thinks, "WOW! Babies!! I LOVE them!!"

Here's a pic of my sleepy girl. She loves to nap on my lap and even now, in the throes of hormone Hell, she wants to be near me when she comes off the nest to eat, drink, poop (my word!!), and dustbathe.

IMG_4402.JPG

Yay!!! Nothing beats the excitement over chicks!! I love love love my brahma girls. Such a gentle breed!
I had a light Brahma for two and a half years. She passed unexpectedly from some kind of infection late last year. She was the first one to go and my favorite. When we got her, she was one of eight chicks, one of whom was a male BLRW. I thought she was the cockerel, so named her David! She also had a minor limp, so we called her David "Hop-along" Cassidy. She was such a sweet girl! Now I've got two light Brahmas coming. Along with a dark and two buffs!

83996657_3318462734836388_1243855651709386752_n.jpg

Dottie has been an absolute champ! She pecked at the babies for a minute and then they all crawled under her and went to sleep. Now, a month later, five are healthy and thriving. Best part is, they are already part of the flock. They eat and drink and dust bathe with the big girls and have started exploring the roosts in the coop. It won’t be much longer before all of my girls sleep together on the “big girl” roosts!
2D1A57A5-97EB-4AA3-8216-16323E9E2DEF.jpeg

B4FA46A8-EB71-4E2B-B8F9-C6F04D9ADD53.jpeg

42DE0D39-69F9-430A-9667-E1A7CB86281E.jpeg

6E1216F9-BDB7-4802-A498-B51B4DA52706.jpeg

6EE86482-AA12-47EF-AABE-549ED4732355.jpeg

It is best to leave, and leave them alone, and let them work it out. I know how hard it is, but most failures are due to people interfering and upsetting the broody. She may give them a peck, leave her be. If the chicks are good an cold, they are going to be diving under her, peeping madly. Let them chill outside so she can hear their peeping. That and the movement under her, is what signals the broody hormone to set, to switch to the broody hormone to take care of them.

When they naturally hatch, think what happens. First you can hear the chicks start to peep. Then movement begins underneath her. But then the chicks are tired and they rest and dry out. If you chicks are cold, and it is dark, they too are going to move under her, burrow in, get comfy and sleep, stopping the peeping to an occasional peep. That is what you want.

Most people want to see what is happening, they just want a peak, and that can really upset the hen, and she can reject them. Do not interfere for 12 hours, and you will be golden.

My grandfather a cattle rancher of some repute, once told me, "They know more about being a cow, than I ever will.." I think that applies to chickens too.

Mrs K

I had a light Brahma for two and a half years. She passed unexpectedly from some kind of infection late last year. She was the first one to go and my favorite. When we got her, she was one of eight chicks, one of whom was a male BLRW. I thought she was the cockerel, so named her David! She also had a minor limp, so we called her David "Hop-along" Cassidy. She was such a sweet girl! Now I've got two light Brahmas coming. Along with a dark and two buffs!

View attachment 2652976
My brahma would stand at my feet and watch me like this. I started picking her up and carrying her around. Low and behold she loves it!

I'm sorry you lost your sweet girl.

My brahma would stand at my feet and watch me like this. I started picking her up and carrying her around. Low and behold she loves it!

I'm sorry you lost your sweet girl.
She didn't like to be picked up, but once I moved my chair closer to one of the roosts in the run, she was able to hop from there onto my lap. She LOVED to sit on my lap, or even next to me on the roost, and just take a nap. I'm hoping I can convince the new chicks that it's okay to be picked up and snuggled...

Back
Top Bottom