Babies on The Way From Mt. Healthy Sooooooooon!!!

Here is how to do it:
  • make sure all the chicks get a good drink of water
  • wait till dark, and work with a subdued light
  • this will sound a bit heartless but really helps, let the chicks get a little cold. This will make them peep like crazy, and they will burrow into her tighter than ticks
  • Wearing a thick sweatshirt, as she may peck at you, stick the chicks in either on her back or under her. Her voice should change, and she will start clucking to them.
  • This is the hardest part. LEAVE AND DON"T PEAK. Let them sort it out.

Good luck,
Mrs K

Well, she was still sitting on them at daylight this morning when I went out to put fresh water and chick starter in her nest box. And she clucked at me in a “don’t mess with me” way (she never does that). That’s a good sign!

49F4E8D7-5E79-4F14-AE62-0E48CA28D1F7.jpeg

First drinks yesterday morning.

4FFABC3B-6A62-4A0E-933F-40651721D87D.jpeg

“Oh, it’s so toasty under here!”

03DB189F-3EFA-487E-A9FA-628910289297.jpeg

They‘re just so stinkin’ cute! 🥰

Here is how to do it:
  • make sure all the chicks get a good drink of water
  • wait till dark, and work with a subdued light
  • this will sound a bit heartless but really helps, let the chicks get a little cold. This will make them peep like crazy, and they will burrow into her tighter than ticks
  • Wearing a thick sweatshirt, as she may peck at you, stick the chicks in either on her back or under her. Her voice should change, and she will start clucking to them.
  • This is the hardest part. LEAVE AND DON"T PEAK. Let them sort it out.

Good luck,
Mrs K
I hope it works!! If she rejects them, will it be immediately? I will have the brooder set up in the coop, so I can move them to safety and warmth. Maybe I can sit inside the coop for a few minutes after I put them under her? (The girls are all used to me sitting in the coop, just not after dark - I usually just do a quick head count around dusk, chat with them for a few minutes, stroke a few willing backs, and lock the door behind me.)

It is best to leave, and leave them alone, and let them work it out. I know how hard it is, but most failures are due to people interfering and upsetting the broody. She may give them a peck, leave her be. If the chicks are good an cold, they are going to be diving under her, peeping madly. Let them chill outside so she can hear their peeping. That and the movement under her, is what signals the broody hormone to set, to switch to the broody hormone to take care of them.

When they naturally hatch, think what happens. First you can hear the chicks start to peep. Then movement begins underneath her. But then the chicks are tired and they rest and dry out. If you chicks are cold, and it is dark, they too are going to move under her, burrow in, get comfy and sleep, stopping the peeping to an occasional peep. That is what you want.

Most people want to see what is happening, they just want a peak, and that can really upset the hen, and she can reject them. Do not interfere for 12 hours, and you will be golden.

My grandfather a cattle rancher of some repute, once told me, "They know more about being a cow, than I ever will.." I think that applies to chickens too.

Mrs K
Roger that! I need to stop thinking like a chicken tender and start thinking like a broody!

And boy, is she ever broody. She does come out of the nest box when I come out and check on her, but she’s VERY hormonal. She puffs up, runs around like she can’t decide what to do first, takes a sip of water, ruffles her feathers, runs and starts a dust bath, then runs out the door to start scratching in the dirt, makes noises like, “hey! there‘s good food here!,” then runs and jumps on my lap and shakes her feathers, then hops down and has a bite to eat, then growls at poor Blue, her flockmate, then... all in less than three minutes time.

I think she’ll be a good mother as it seems she’s been practicing her food call and alarm growl for several months now. She’s been truly broody for seven full days now with no sign of breaking her brood. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

So tonight is the night! The chicks arrived this morning and all seem healthy. I’m a bit concerned about one of the dark Brahmas who seemed a little too sleepy this evening. Of course I was very concerned about one of the light Brahmas earlier in the day, but she seems to have perked up considerably! Fingers crossed that Dottie accepts them!

Back
Top Bottom