Baby Chick Eye Injury

SCFarmMom

Hatching
Feb 6, 2015
South Carolina
I ordered some chicks from a hatchery and one has what appears to be an eye injury. She is 8 days old and her eye is swollen the size of a pea. Her top and bottom beak is not aligned. However she is eating, drinking, pooping and acting fine otherwise. My husband thinks her head was somehow smushed before we got her 5 days ago. I think she was just born "special." So back to the eye... I read online about topical terramicyne to apply to the eye but could not find it locally. For the last 5 days I have been cleaning it and putting neosporine on it but I really don't think its even getting into her eye good bc its so swollen. I've accepted the reality that she's probably going to be "special" forever (blind in that eye and have a crooked beak and head) but I'd still like to try to save her eye. I found a some oxytetracycline powder this morning and mixed it in the chicks common water. With all that being said, here's my questions:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to treat the eye? I can tell it hurts her when I touch it or try to open it. Will the oxytetracycline in the water help her eye? Even if she's going to lose the eye I feel like I need to somehow control any infection.

Also, will me putting the oxytetracycline in the common water hurt the other chicks? I've read online where it is actually recommended that you put an antibiotic in all chicks water but I want to be sure.

Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom