Baby Chick has a hard time pooping

Dottie the Chicken

Lover of Jesus, cows, and chickens
May 8, 2020
Wisconsin
I have a baby Columbian Wyandotte that I brought home from a farm supply/other store on Friday. She has had a hard time pooping. She poops, but I've heard her scream when she does it. Some poop also sticks to her feathers like pasty butt. Any tips, or will it eventually go away on its own? They are getting chick starter/grower. I've also given then some grit. They have had water with Sav-a-Chick probiotics and electrolytes since I brought them home.

Last edited:
Yes, coconut oil will help. Carefully clean off all stuck poop using warm water. If it is really stuck you may need to soak her bum in warm water, then thoroughly dry her (a hair dryer on low works great for this). Then apply the oil around her vent to prevent more poo building up.

You also should definitely feed her some of the oil. You can either chill the coconut oil and feed her pieces of it, or if that fails, liquify it and mix it with some food. Make sure she is drinking. Dehydration will make the constipation worse. Feeding her wet mash (her regular food soaked with water to make an oatmeal like slurry) will provide her with extra water and be easier for her to pass. Finally, if the swelling is persistent, some people use hemorrhoid cream dabbed around the vent.

16146281434194488607083506484565.jpg

She pooped a little bit ago without screaming, so maybe it's getting better.

Back
Top Bottom