baby chick in trouble

I'd go with 30 minutes to several hours.....if you see trouble, change something up.

If you've got the time to spread it out over an entire day, slower is better.
ok, Ill do my best. Im off today but I have to run one errand, TSC for more shaving running low and boy these chicks are getting stinky in my house. I also have to put some finishing touches on the coop as I want to move them out by the weekend. Is there any harm in bringing the chicks out to the run today while I work on the coop its going to be mid 60's today, pretty warm for MA.

Also, Im so nervous about getting sick chick together with the flock, I know it MUST be done but I worked and worried over this little chick to bring it back to health and I'd hate to have her come this far and be killed or gravely injured by her bigger flock mates.

ok, Ill do my best. Im off today but I have to run one errand, TSC for more shaving running low and boy these chicks are getting stinky in my house. I also have to put some finishing touches on the coop as I want to move them out by the weekend. Is there any harm in bringing the chicks out to the run today while I work on the coop its going to be mid 60's today, pretty warm for MA.

Also, Im so nervous about getting sick chick together with the flock, I know it MUST be done but I worked and worried over this little chick to bring it back to health and I'd hate to have her come this far and be killed or gravely injured by her bigger flock mates.
Actually that might be a good place to merge them, neutral territory.
Make sure they have a wind break shelter.
Scraps of HC, circled into 'corrals' of maybe 8-12" tall can help if time outs are needed for aggressive chicks.

Last edited:
Actually that might be a good place to merge them, neutral territory.
Make sure they have a wind break shelter.
Scraps of HC, circled into 'corrals' of maybe 8-12" tall can help if time outs are needed for aggressive chicks.
Hmmm, that would make my day easier. I can work inside the coop and keep an eye on them. I could even put the MHP out there if they need to hide or warm up. I will put other hidey places as well. The run is 8x14 so plenty of room to run and get away and hide if needed. I think that is what Ill try. Thanks.

All is going well so far. All chicks are outside in the run loving life. Sick chick is right in there eating scratching exploring. All others are too distracted to pay her any mind so far. She's even running and flapping her wings trying to get lift. I notice that she has also preened all her pin feathers that I think she was too sick to bother with before. I'll post a video later. Can't do it from my phone. Thanks again for all of your support
1f497.png

Last edited:
Here is a quick pic of her right in the mix for now

Hmm now that I'm outside I think my Swedish flower is showing a little pink in the comb! Drats!

Great!
Hopefully you can put them all back into the big brooder after their big day out.
Rearranging the big brooder might serve as a distraction and they'll all be together again!

How old is that reddening chick?
Look under his beak, nay wattles sprouting?

Yes I will try rearranging and putting her with the rest. So far she's right in the mix. No issues yet.

My Swedish is 4 weeks today and yes I think I see pink wattles. And my barred rock is most likely a cockerel and my light brahma is displaying very cockerel behavior. I'm also slightly questioning my silver penciled rock. More about posture with that one though. Here is another picture of the Swedish. See wattles? I think I do.

Yes I will try rearranging and putting her with the rest. So far she's right in the mix. No issues yet.

My Swedish is 4 weeks today and yes I think I see pink wattles. And my barred rock is most likely a cockerel and my light brahma is displaying very cockerel behavior. I'm also slightly questioning my silver penciled rock. More about posture with that one though. Here is another picture of the Swedish. See wattles? I think I do.
Yeppers, I do....you'll know for sure in another week or two.
Brahma can take longer to tell due to maturing slower and the pea combs.

Here is the video from earlier in the day. You can hear the anxiety in my voice. But all went well. The big chicks were so overwhelmed and interested in their new surroundings they didn't pay any mind to the baby chick. We stayed out there for about 3 hours and they loved it. Then the sky started to darken and the wind picked up so I shuffled them back inside. I rearranged the big brooder and put them all in. So far so good. She's currently snuggling on my silver penciled back wedged between the pencil and the barred rock cockerel so she's doing good. She was running around outside, flapping her wings, trying to get lift and she was right with the big chicks every step of the way. Here is the video from earlier and ill have to post a current picture seperately.

0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom