Baby chick rolling other eggs around in incubator

Jul 30, 2021
The first chick hatched in my new incubator but she keeps walking around all the unhatched eggs, which is causing them to roll around. I marked both sides so I would know which side to turn them to, and I stopped turning them two days ago. I read that if they are turned after that time period, the chicks will get confused and not know how to get out. I also read that you are supposed to leave the hatched chicks in the incubator until the rest are hatched, or until 48 hours has passed. I did open it once to remove the broken shell and turn some of the eggs back into the right position (one was turned all the way around somehow - I hope I didn't confuse the chick any more), but I don't want to keep opening it, because the humidity is important.

So, should I take the chick out? Should I turn the eggs back over when she moves them? This is my first time doing this, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

(Also, one of the other eggs started cracking last night, but this morning, the crack is the same size. Is the chick okay in there?? Thanks from an anxious chicken mom:p)

Attachments

• IMG_20221229_113247956.jpg
    IMG_20221229_113247956.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20221229_113759262.jpg
    IMG_20221229_113759262.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20221229_113727679.jpg
    IMG_20221229_113727679.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 28
I leave the chick in until there is a second chick and then take them out. I don't wait any longer, once at least 2 have hatched, I take them out as soon as they're dried
Okay thank you, I will probably do that. Do you know what happens if the other eggs are turned on their sides?

I wouldn't worry about the eggs getting rolled about. I've had some pretty rowdy batches of chicks playing rugby with unhatched eggs, and it hasn't seemed to effect the hatch. Put another way, I'm sure eggs get rolled around plenty under broody hens during hatch, so it can't be the case that the chicks get too confused to hatch.

On the other hand, very quickly removing fluffed up chicks from the incubator is OK too. Just don't do it too often or for too long and try to avoid doing so while another chick is actively zipping/hatching.

I wouldn't worry about the eggs getting rolled about. I've had some pretty rowdy batches of chicks playing rugby with unhatched eggs, and it hasn't seemed to effect the hatch. Put another way, I'm sure eggs get rolled around plenty under broody hens during hatch, so it can't be the case that the chicks get too confused to hatch.

On the other hand, very quickly removing fluffed up chicks from the incubator is OK too. Just don't do it too often or for too long and try to avoid doing so while another chick is actively zipping/hatching.
Yeah, you are probably right. It's hard not to worry though! Thanks for the help :D

Back
Top Bottom