Baby chick that is not able to walk well

trishaleaird

In the Brooder
Dec 17, 2018
Bexar county Texas
I have a baby chick that was fine when mama brought them into the normal.chicken area ... now he seems that he can't walk very well has an excellent mama but he does eat drink but cannot no longer keep up with mama an siblings.....he has to try to walk.an use his wings to keep up....I finally broke down an brought him in put in a box an he does know how to eat an drink....but gets exhausted trying to keep up with family..... does anyone have any suggestions on how to help this little guy so he can be returned to his mama an siblings???? An mama almost got me when I nabbed him ... she has 8 babys including him.....

I have a baby chick that was fine when mama brought them into the normal.chicken area ... now he seems that he can't walk very well has an excellent mama but he does eat drink but cannot no longer keep up with mama an siblings.....he has to try to walk.an use his wings to keep up....I finally broke down an brought him in put in a box an he does know how to eat an drink....but gets exhausted trying to keep up with family..... does anyone have any suggestions on how to help this little guy so he can be returned to his mama an siblings???? An mama almost got me when I nabbed him ... she has 8 babys including him.....
It is hard to say what it is from your description...Do you have any pictures? Is there any deformation that you can see?
Here is BYC article with info that might help:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/leg-foot-and-toe-issues-in-poultry-of-all-ages.68093/

20190614_222407.jpg
20190614_222407.jpg
20190614_222401.jpg

If you're stuck at home or everything's closed for the night try giving them scrambled eggs or if they're super weak and not interested in food I'm a firm believer in a drop of Karo syrup mixed with a tiny bit of warm water and give it a few minutes and offer more scrambled egg.. canned cat food or something else high in protein. Gatorade Pedialyte or sports drinks if you have that on hand. If you can get to a feed store Nutra-drench, poly-ViSol without iron, or probiotic/electrolyte packs

I don't see any abnormalities in his feet he just seems weak an not a le.to walk good on them .....he was fine up till yesterday
So, his toes are not curled or anything? If not, then I wonder if he has a vitamin D deficiency, with what you are describing. I would try and get some vitamin supplements with vitamin D3 ASAP to put in his water. (I would try a local livestock/feed store in your area to see if they carry it) I would also keep him warm and isolated from the others until he builds up some strength. Here’s some info about Vitamin D3 deficiency to read up on and see if this seems like this fits with the chick’s symptoms. Let us know how he’s doing.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ement-poultry/vitamin-deficiencies-in-poultry

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...and-inability-to-walk-stand-in-chicks.789296/

It could be splayed leg. One of my chicks couldn’t walk last week and the treatment made her as good as new. Basically you tape her legs about 1.25 inches apart to create a hobble. Google it.

Back
Top Bottom