Baby chick with 2 BROKEN WINGS

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
My broody hen who is raising 8 chicks (mixed flock chicks) has been a good mama so far.... however yesterday I came into the feed room where I have her set up in a broody pen, and she had tossed the straw and dishes and was dust bathing!! baby chicks were flinging out of her wings and butt. It was hilarious at first... but then I saw how she was diving on her back and I gathered the 8 chicks into a small box. She continued to dust bathe for a bit, and I added some DE for her and sprinkled it on her back and gave her a rub. She seemed to like it. Once she settled down I put the chicks back in with her, and she opened her wings for them... all was good.

Today as I was doing my daily dinner watch to see how they are changing/growing etc... I noticed one chick wasn't participating at all. Her wings were low and she wasn't moving. After removing her it seems to me that her wings are both dislocated? or something. Wasn't like this yesterday. I am attaching some pics.
She is 8 days old, a marans CLB cross, so an olive egger, and I think she is female... so I really REALLY want to fix her.
I have that sticky gauze that you bind broken or fractured things with- but I dont know how or even if I SHOULD ???

Please, someone with EXPERIENCE. Can you help?

While taking the photos, I flipped her over and her left wing is all bloody underneath. it can also bend in half the wrong way. The right one just seems to droop to the floor.
She can walk/run and is strong.

I have her in the house in a box with heat lamp, water, food, grit. She is drinking and quiet.

Should I bring in all her hatch mates too? I was thinking maybe give her 2 days and then bring the rest of them in. Maybe mama should be done. (mama is blind in one eye... and its her first time being broody).. AND id like to get her ready for my breeding pens ...

What should I do?

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 15
It might be good to bring the chick into a brooder with a heat lamp until the wing scabs. You can use a little Vetericyn wound spray with hydrogel twice a day. I would not tape the wings, but leave them alone. You might do more damage trying to tape them. Day by day, you can use your judgement whether or not to try adding the chick back with the others. It might have been pecked by the broody since it’s wings were drooping, but hard to know exactly what happened. It is always best to leave chicks with a broody until she stops caring for them. But if she picks on any of them, remove them. There is really no right way to care for the injured chick, but I would separate it for a day or two, and try getting it back with the rest. If she attacks it, then sepeartate it with another chick for company.

I tried binding wings- she gets her legs up into the bandage. But without binding she trips on the left wing because its under her feet.
I'd like to bind the left.
Sadly, I only have the help of an unwilling 7 yr old... this is tricky!

My broody hen who is raising 8 chicks (mixed flock chicks) has been a good mama so far.... however yesterday I came into the feed room where I have her set up in a broody pen, and she had tossed the straw and dishes and was dust bathing!! baby chicks were flinging out of her wings and butt. It was hilarious at first... but then I saw how she was diving on her back and I gathered the 8 chicks into a small box. She continued to dust bathe for a bit, and I added some DE for her and sprinkled it on her back and gave her a rub. She seemed to like it. Once she settled down I put the chicks back in with her, and she opened her wings for them... all was good.

Today as I was doing my daily dinner watch to see how they are changing/growing etc... I noticed one chick wasn't participating at all. Her wings were low and she wasn't moving. After removing her it seems to me that her wings are both dislocated? or something. Wasn't like this yesterday. I am attaching some pics.
She is 8 days old, a marans CLB cross, so an olive egger, and I think she is female... so I really REALLY want to fix her.
I have that sticky gauze that you bind broken or fractured things with- but I dont know how or even if I SHOULD ???

Please, someone with EXPERIENCE. Can you help?

While taking the photos, I flipped her over and her left wing is all bloody underneath. it can also bend in half the wrong way. The right one just seems to droop to the floor.
She can walk/run and is strong.

I have her in the house in a box with heat lamp, water, food, grit. She is drinking and quiet.

Should I bring in all her hatch mates too? I was thinking maybe give her 2 days and then bring the rest of them in. Maybe mama should be done. (mama is blind in one eye... and its her first time being broody).. AND id like to get her ready for my breeding pens ...

What should I do?
In this situation I have found that typically from experience that it’s very difficult to help a chicken with a broken bone. I hope it gets better soon though

Back
Top Bottom