8week old chick broken wing

Ashcole

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2023
I have an 8 week old rir & light buff Brahma chick with a broken wing. About 2 hours ago when I went to let them out she was stuck between the coop wall and nesting box, (thankfully mama let me get her out without attacking me) the wing was splayed outwards but she jumped out of my hand and ran out with mama. I let her go to try and give her a few minutes to calm herself and mama down but I’ve been keeping an eye on her. She now has the wing in the correct position but it’s pointed downwards. Her nor mama aren’t letting me get close enough to really check her out but it does look like it did bleed slightly but that has stopped. So I figured I’ll wait until they are ready to go back in for the night and I’ll be able to get her then. Mama only lets us touch them at night since the babies aren’t able to fly up get into their temp coop. Any other time she attacks for trying to touch them. She used to be fine with us touching her babies up until I noticed my nephew was tormenting mom and babies and rechecked my coop cams which now made it hard for me to do things when I need too for them. Anyway sorry I’m going off topic.

I’ll try to grab some photos in a few minutes but can anyone help to tell me what I can do? Any videos, explanations, inputs or anything will help.. I definitely can’t afford a vet visit right now I just had my dog into the vet last week he got injured and I just can’t take this baby in. If I need to cull it I will but if it can survive I’ll do everything I can to do that as well.

If you can find the bleeding spot, paint a little Betadine on it to disinfect it. In such a small chick it may not need to be treated, but in older birds, the wing can be wrapped in a normal position and secured loosely to the body. Leave the other wing out.

Back
Top Bottom