Baby chicks and snacks?

faith2221

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 25, 2013
Ok I just got 7 baby chicks from tractor supply and they are just a week old. When can I start giving them scraps of fruit and veggies? Are they old enough to peck at an apple core? They a currently just on chick starter.

Thanks!
monica

Chickens are outdoor animals... You're acting like they should be living in a sanitized bubble
hmm.png

I think when a momma raises a chick she feeds it everything in the environment. I would not worry about it, but you all must be a bunch of fruit-aholics, LOL!

I raise my animals like I raise my kids. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger (within reason, ofcourse). Good thing we all can do things our own way. It would be a boring place if we did it all the same.
smile.png

So as a note to anyone who reads this: There's always more than one way of doing things. Find what works for you.

I raise my animals like I raise my kids. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger (within reason, ofcourse). Good thing we all can do things our own way. It would be a boring place if we did it all the same.
smile.png

So as a note to anyone who reads this: There's always more than one way of doing things. Find what works for you.

That's an interesting quote originating from a philosopher who died of syphilis. I guess Nietzsche wasn't strong enough, or reasonable enough for that matter. You can be argumentative about giving extra calcium and sodium to chicks, compare them to your children, or use all of the hyperbole you choose. See how it works out for your chicks. When you have some sick birds, drop me a PM and I might be able to help you out.

To Michael Apple: I appreciate the time you take to educate newbies. Me included. Thanks :) You have the chicks welfare in mind all the time.

Giving chicks sodium laden meats, vegetables and fruits they can't digest yet, or yogurt which contains calcium and will destroy their kidneys, is just encouraging health problems. Feed them a good quality organic starter/grower, a pinch of chick grit, and chick scratch as a treat. Give some vitamin-electrolyte-probiotic in the water a few times a week, or according to manufacturer's instructions, and you'll have healthy chicks growing into adulthood.

Mine are about a week old now. They've had yogurt, cream of wheat, buttermilk, chopped up cutworms, grubs, millipedes and other assorted creepy crawlies, boiled egg, clover and chickweed.

I could never feed them meat... Just seems wrong. Especially chicken meat. And I would worry about sodium and such with lunchmeats. I will get them bugs to eat, I got plenty of those!

Chicks who are raised by their mom will start eating things other then chick food as soon as they can follow her out of the nest. However they are also eating pebbles and other hard objects that will aid in the digestion of these additional items. If you feed your chicks food besides chick feed, then you need to provide them with chick grit.

Personally, I don't feed my chicks any scraps while they are in the brooder. I do however start to throw clumps of grass, dandelions, clover, etc. into their box around a few weeks old. Dirt and roots attached. The chicks love it. Also, my kids love to find them little worms to feed them. I provide them with chick grit as well.

Back
Top Bottom