Baby chicks and snacks?

Personally, I don't feed my chicks any scraps while they are in the brooder. I do however start to throw clumps of grass, dandelions, clover, etc. into their box around a few weeks old. Dirt and roots attached. The chicks love it. Also, my kids love to find them little worms to feed them. I provide them with chick grit as well.

Tossing dirt in with sparing greens is fine provided that you are prepared to treat them for cocci. I wouldn't let the kids toss any worms from outside to them unless you are prepared to deal with the parasites that may be introduced by them.

Chickens are outdoor animals... You're acting like they should be living in a sanitized bubble
hmm.png

I raise my animals like I raise my kids. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger (within reason, ofcourse). Good thing we all can do things our own way. It would be a boring place if we did it all the same.
smile.png

So as a note to anyone who reads this: There's always more than one way of doing things. Find what works for you.

I raise my animals like I raise my kids. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger (within reason, ofcourse). Good thing we all can do things our own way. It would be a boring place if we did it all the same.
smile.png

So as a note to anyone who reads this: There's always more than one way of doing things. Find what works for you.

That's an interesting quote originating from a philosopher who died of syphilis. I guess Nietzsche wasn't strong enough, or reasonable enough for that matter. You can be argumentative about giving extra calcium and sodium to chicks, compare them to your children, or use all of the hyperbole you choose. See how it works out for your chicks. When you have some sick birds, drop me a PM and I might be able to help you out.

That's an interesting quote originating from a philosopher who died of syphilis. I guess Nietzsche wasn't strong enough, or reasonable enough for that matter. You can be argumentative about giving extra calcium and sodium to chicks, compare them to your children, or use all of the hyperbole you choose. See how it works out for your chicks. When you have some sick birds, drop me a PM and I might be able to help you out.

That seems a little harsh.
I agree that it is up to each person to make the decision what to feed their chicks you can offer advice but it is up to each person as to whether they use it or not. I don't feed treats in the brooder but I live in a very hot climate so my chicks are on the grass and dirt outside at a week old. They eat bugs etc and I have never lost one to any disease at that age.

Last edited:
I raise my animals like I raise my kids. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger (within reason, ofcourse). Good thing we all can do things our own way. It would be a boring place if we did it all the same. :)

I agree with you. Find what works for you :)

I'm pretty new to the chicken business, but I have read that apple seeds are toxic to them. Don't know how true it is. I also read that cooked meat in moderation is fine, but raw meat can cause cannibalism. Don't know how true this is either. Just purchased 75 chicks last week. I'm happy to find out I can start giving them yogurt, boiled eggs and fruit this young, as I do this for my older flock. Thanks for the posts gimmie birdies!

That seems a little harsh.
I agree that it is up to each person to make the decision what to feed their chicks you can offer advice but it is up to each person as to whether they use it or not. I don't feed treats in the brooder but I live in a very hot climate so my chicks are on the grass and dirt outside at a week old. They eat bugs etc and I have never lost one to any disease at that age.

If the truth is harsh, so be it. Yes, it is up to each person to make the decision what to feed their chicks. That does not address what is safe to feed them and what isn't. Chickens are lactose intolerant. The only reason a human food like yogurt doesn't contain lactose is because the beneficial bacteria absorb it. That still doesn't dismiss the fact that the average calcium content in yogurt is 400mg. Excess Calcium beyond the percentage in starter/grower feed damages the kidneys in chicks, so it should not be fed. That isn't my law, it is nature's.

So the question would remain, why take chances making chicks in the brooder susceptible to health problems from feeding human foods when it can and should be avoided? Chickens are not humans. More people should realize this.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom