Baby Chick's Momma Killed By A Dog. Advice?

the boxes arepretty big and are about 12inches by 12 inches big. They are in a row of three nesting boxes all together. itll be around 50 or 60 degrees tonight and tomorrow

little Haebelle keeps crying for her momma. Is this going to impact her growth and is there anything I can do to help her? Any advice is appreciated.
It will not impact her growth enough to worry about. The crying will probably quit within a day or two.

For how to help her, it looks like you are already doing what I would recommend:
--companionship from other chicks
--a safe place to live
--a source of heat, and a cool area (so the chicks can regulate their own temperature)
--food and water

Since there is no way to bring her mother back, the best you can do is to raise her like any other chick.

Thats horrible! :( Set a brooder up ASAP, a checklist will be made under this text if youd like to use it:) id also reccomend another broody nice mom to look after the chick afterwards. *So if has someone to look up to as a main source*

checklist for brooder

- Feed (I recommend manna pros brand)
-Water (Wherever you get it from, tap, bottled, jugged, distiled. )
-Water and feeder (I recommend looking it up on amazon But you can find similar results at tractor supply.
-Bedding (I made diy bedding my shredding old Newspaper and cardboard and adding pine shavings. )
-Heat source (I dont recommend heat lamp, but use it as a last resort. I do recommend heating pad /blanket though!)

You can also get the “Starter kit“ from tractor supply aswell.

| All links | https://www.amazon.com/Manna-Pro | <—- brand - https://www.amazon.com/Manna-Pro-10...X3FM76Q3H3G&psc=1&refRID=9R786S30FX3FM76Q3H3G <—- grit for baby chicks *Edit: i recommend waiting til about week 6 to give your chicks grit, but thats just a opinion*

Last edited:
What is the nature of the injury to the hen you're keeping inside? I'm curious if it might be possible to get her to adopt Haebelle and her new friends. If she takes them it's a lot less work for you. But trying it is only practical if the injury isn't too serious. Because even if she's not broody she may still be willing to become a foster parent.

I would try to get my injured hen to parent the babies but she passed an hour or two ago. My last hen is limping but I don't think she is in shock as much as she is just trying to stay still to avoid any pain.

I was wondering if anybody has any good run ideas that are easy and not too pricey. My girls were in a big round dog pin that was connected to their coop. It didn't have a top and that's how the big dog got in. I have the coop locked up now with my seven chicks and one hen in there.

I was wondering if anybody has any good run ideas that are easy and not too pricey. My girls were in a big round dog pin that was connected to their coop. It didn't have a top and that's how the big dog got in. I have the coop locked up now with my seven chicks and one hen in there.
If its inside a little fence you could use one side as part of the wall? Or raise it up and grow grass inside. On top of wood and such, the reason i say this, is because to prevent any animals from burrowing under the run and hurting the chickens. But its up to you

I'm so sorry about the hens you've lost, especially the poor broody mama-
and I'm sorry to your chick...
and the hen that's limping...
but it sounds like you're taking great care of the chick and the limping hen, and that you took the best care of the others that you possibly could have.
:hugs

Cattle panels and t posts are a super simple way I do it. Bird netting over top (I use the kind for cherry trees)

Back
Top Bottom