Baby duck not growing

No I have her separated from them. at least for the past two weeks
It needs friends.. none can thrive alone. Loneliness in and of itself can add to failure to thrive.

Anything it may have.. others have been exposed to already..

Reintroduction.. may not go so easily after this much time.

Consider adding B complex.

@Miss Lydia @WVduckchick any experienced thoughts or feedback are appreciated. TIA

Yes try and put this duckling back with her flock, she needs the companionship. Its very important. You may have to set her up next to the others so they can all get reunited with out this one getting picked on a dog crate inside the coop will keep her safe overnight.
Also what was rec the liquid B complex from TSC is very important for strength and health. Give her 1 ml over a small amount of tasty treat daily.
:welcome

That’s definitely not a pekin duckling, could be a Saxony? Did the store have a possible list of breeds in the bin?

If it’s a runner or a Saxony or something else, that could easily explain why it’s smaller. Pekins get huge very fast.
If the others aren’t picking on her, I’d definitely put them all back together. It’s easier for them to work out issues with each other as ducklings than when they all get adult sized.

I am in the US. I am not sure if it's Jumbo or not. I bought it in the assorted duck bin at Tractor Supply.
Never heard of a jumbo Indian Runner before, but Tractor Supply handles so many birds that there are bound to be mistakes.

So, we're relying on one of the employees to identify the ducklings in the 'assorted' bin?

That’s definitely not a pekin duckling, could be a Saxony? Did the store have a possible list of breeds in the bin?

If it’s a runner or a Saxony or something else, that could easily explain why it’s smaller. Pekins get huge very fast.
If the others aren’t picking on her, I’d definitely put them all back together. It’s easier for them to work out issues with each other as ducklings than when they all get adult sized.
So you think she's just small because she's a Runner? she doesn't move around much, when she stands she is really shaky. I was scared one of the other birds was not letting her eat, but since I separated her, she's eating and still not growing. I did let her back out with the other birds now.
She looked just like Howard the other duck I have which is now huge,but she stopped growing when he kept getting bigger. He is a Pekin. I assumed they were the same but maybe not. 🤷 I attached Howards picture and pictures of when they were young, I really thought they were the same.
I've never had ducks before so I really appreciate everybody's help. I love them. ❤️

Attachments

• 20230504_152805.jpg
    20230504_152805.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230408_090056.jpg
    20230408_090056.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230404_163802.jpg
    20230404_163802.jpg
    624 KB · Views: 3
I’m honestly not sure what she is, but I don’t think she is pekin. At least not full pekin. She would be more solid white by now, and would have a deep yellow bill. Coming from tractor supply, I guess it depends on the hatchery they use in your area, but they don’t normally deal in hybrids, so I’d assume she’s a different breed. Maybe call them and ask what hatchery they use, and check the hatchery’s website as to what they breed?
So as to size, it’s hard to say without being sure of breed.

**Disclaimer lol, I’ve only had adult pekins, so I’m not that versed in the breed, mostly just going by what I’ve observed here over the years. So someone please correct me if I’m way off base here. :p

I’m honestly not sure what she is, but I don’t think she is pekin. At least not full pekin. She would be more solid white by now, and would have a deep yellow bill. Coming from tractor supply, I guess it depends on the hatchery they use in your area, but they don’t normally deal in hybrids, so I’d assume she’s a different breed. Maybe call them and ask what hatchery they use, and check the hatchery’s website as to what they breed?
So as to size, it’s hard to say without being sure of breed.

**Disclaimer lol, I’ve only had adult pekins, so I’m not that versed in the breed, mostly just going by what I’ve observed here over the years. So someone please correct me if I’m way off base here.

Never heard of a jumbo Indian Runner before, but Tractor Supply handles so many birds that there are bound to be mistakes.

So, we're relying on one of the employees to identify the ducklings in the 'assorted' bin?
There is not telling. There is a list of about eight different ducks that they have in their bin. LOL. Indian runner is one of them..... I'm just going to keep giving her the baby duck food with some vitamin B.... When I do let her out she can't even keep up with the other ducks because she's too weak and shaky so I do think she's sick I'm going to keep looking for a vet.

There is not telling. There is a list of about eight different ducks that they have in their bin. LOL. Indian runner is one of them..... I'm just going to keep giving her the baby duck food with some vitamin B.... When I do let her out she can't even keep up with the other ducks because she's too weak and shaky so I do think she's sick I'm going to keep looking for a vet.
Water therapy also does wonders for their strength. If she can swim (possibly alone?) it could be a big help for her also.

My mind went more to breed than actually trying to help with her possible sickness, I’m so sorry. The vitamins are a good idea also. It’s odd for her to be experiencing these issues at her age. How long has she been acting this way? Could she have ingested something that made her sick? Any possible poisons in the yard? Chemical or poisonous plants she may have eaten a small bit of?

Back
Top Bottom