Baby duck not growing

sallyschober

Hatching
Jun 8, 2023
Hi,
I have 4 ducks that are about 2-3 months old. One of them (a Peking duck) is not growing and is barely getting any feathers. I called the vets around here and none of them treat ducks. She is a little shaky and doesn't seem to want to move around a lot. She is eating but not a lot. All of the other ducks look completely normal. I am not sure how to help her. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you
Sally

Attachments

• duck2.jpg
    duck2.jpg
    805 KB · Views: 303
  • duck3.jpg
    duck3.jpg
    820.1 KB · Views: 19
Hi,
I have 4 ducks that are about 2-3 months old. One of them (a Peking duck) is not growing and is barely getting any feathers. I called the vets around here and none of them treat ducks. She is a little shaky and doesn't seem to want to move around a lot. She is eating but not a lot. All of the other ducks look completely normal. I am not sure how to help her. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you
Sally
That looks like an Indian Runner to me, which might explain why it doesn't seem to be growing as fast as the Pekins.

Hi,

Thank you
Sally
Welcome to BYC!!

No I have her separated from them. at least for the past two weeks
It needs friends.. none can thrive alone. Loneliness in and of itself can add to failure to thrive.

Anything it may have.. others have been exposed to already..

Reintroduction.. may not go so easily after this much time.

Consider adding B complex.

@Miss Lydia @WVduckchick any experienced thoughts or feedback are appreciated. TIA

Yes try and put this duckling back with her flock, she needs the companionship. Its very important. You may have to set her up next to the others so they can all get reunited with out this one getting picked on a dog crate inside the coop will keep her safe overnight.
Also what was rec the liquid B complex from TSC is very important for strength and health. Give her 1 ml over a small amount of tasty treat daily.
:welcome

That’s definitely not a pekin duckling, could be a Saxony? Did the store have a possible list of breeds in the bin?

If it’s a runner or a Saxony or something else, that could easily explain why it’s smaller. Pekins get huge very fast.
If the others aren’t picking on her, I’d definitely put them all back together. It’s easier for them to work out issues with each other as ducklings than when they all get adult sized.

Hi,

Thank you
Sally
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Are the others Pekin also? Do you know if it's supposed to be standard or jumbo Pekin? (no "g" at the end)

My first guess is accidental short end of the genetic stick, but..

Please describe feed routine including treats and supplements. Are you in the US?

Back
Top Bottom