Baby duck not growing

I am in the US. I am not sure if it's Jumbo or not. I bought it in the assorted duck bin at Tractor Supply.
Never heard of a jumbo Indian Runner before, but Tractor Supply handles so many birds that there are bound to be mistakes.

So, we're relying on one of the employees to identify the ducklings in the 'assorted' bin?

I’m honestly not sure what she is, but I don’t think she is pekin. At least not full pekin. She would be more solid white by now, and would have a deep yellow bill. Coming from tractor supply, I guess it depends on the hatchery they use in your area, but they don’t normally deal in hybrids, so I’d assume she’s a different breed. Maybe call them and ask what hatchery they use, and check the hatchery’s website as to what they breed?
So as to size, it’s hard to say without being sure of breed.

**Disclaimer lol, I’ve only had adult pekins, so I’m not that versed in the breed, mostly just going by what I’ve observed here over the years. So someone please correct me if I’m way off base here. :p

There is not telling. There is a list of about eight different ducks that they have in their bin. LOL. Indian runner is one of them..... I'm just going to keep giving her the baby duck food with some vitamin B.... When I do let her out she can't even keep up with the other ducks because she's too weak and shaky so I do think she's sick I'm going to keep looking for a vet.
Water therapy also does wonders for their strength. If she can swim (possibly alone?) it could be a big help for her also.

My mind went more to breed than actually trying to help with her possible sickness, I’m so sorry. The vitamins are a good idea also. It’s odd for her to be experiencing these issues at her age. How long has she been acting this way? Could she have ingested something that made her sick? Any possible poisons in the yard? Chemical or poisonous plants she may have eaten a small bit of?

I am in the US. I am not sure if it's Jumbo or not. I bought it in the assorted duck bin at Tractor Supply. I am in Texas so it's definitely warm enough. It's eating duckling food still and drinking, it seems regularly. My other ducks are one Pekin and 2 Rouen.
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Are the others Pekin also? Do you know if it's supposed to be standard or jumbo Pekin? (no "g" at the end)

My first guess is accidental short end of the genetic stick, but..

Please describe feed routine including treats and supplements. Are you in the US?

I’m honestly not sure what she is, but I don’t think she is pekin. At least not full pekin. She would be more solid white by now, and would have a deep yellow bill. Coming from tractor supply, I guess it depends on the hatchery they use in your area, but they don’t normally deal in hybrids, so I’d assume she’s a different breed. Maybe call them and ask what hatchery they use, and check the hatchery’s website as to what they breed?
So as to size, it’s hard to say without being sure of breed.

**Disclaimer lol, I’ve only had adult pekins, so I’m not that versed in the breed, mostly just going by what I’ve observed here over the years. So someone please correct me if I’m way off base here.

Never heard of a jumbo Indian Runner before, but Tractor Supply handles so many birds that there are bound to be mistakes.

So, we're relying on one of the employees to identify the ducklings in the 'assorted' bin?
There is not telling. There is a list of about eight different ducks that they have in their bin. LOL. Indian runner is one of them..... I'm just going to keep giving her the baby duck food with some vitamin B.... When I do let her out she can't even keep up with the other ducks because she's too weak and shaky so I do think she's sick I'm going to keep looking for a vet.

Water therapy also does wonders for their strength. If she can swim (possibly alone?) it could be a big help for her also.

My mind went more to breed than actually trying to help with her possible sickness, I’m so sorry. The vitamins are a good idea also. It’s odd for her to be experiencing these issues at her age. How long has she been acting this way? Could she have ingested something that made her sick? Any possible poisons in the yard? Chemical or poisonous plants she may have eaten a small bit of?
She's been like this for 4-5 weeks. She has been with the other ducks this entire time and nobody else is sick. And we are very careful with what we feed them and what they're around. My garden is next to them but I even make sure that's completely organic with no chemicals. I am just at a loss, she is so sweet I really want her to get better.

Back
Top Bottom