Baby duck

Kaytlyn mae

In the Brooder
May 20, 2023
Hello! My baby is hatched he did come premature and I've nursed him back to health. He did not absorb all of the yolk sack before he came out so I have just been taking care of it. We are on day five and his sack is now hard but it is still there. He is eating and drinking regular food and water. It doesn't appear that there is anything coming from it It is just still attached. Can I tie floss or something around the top of it to get it to dry out and separate.

Hello! My baby is hatched he did come premature and I've nursed him back to health. He did not absorb all of the yolk sack before he came out so I have just been taking care of it. We are on day five and his sack is now hard but it is still there. He is eating and drinking regular food and water. It doesn't appear that there is anything coming from it It is just still attached. Can I tie floss or something around the top of it to get it to dry out and separate.
Can you get a picture? Don't try to remove it.
When you say "nursed back to health" what do you mean?

He wasn't able to hold himself up. He's strong and doing well now. His eyes began to crust over n not open 3 days ago. I have them pretty much cleared up now. His sack has shrunk a lot n is now hard. But still attached. He shows no sign of lack of nutrition or anything.

He wasn't able to hold himself up. He's strong and doing well now. His eyes began to crust over n not open 3 days ago. I have them pretty much cleared up now. His sack has shrunk a lot n is now hard. But still attached. He shows no sign of lack of nutrition or anything.
It sounds like it's doing okay. The last bit of yolk will either "scab" over, absorbed, or drop off. But don't try to remove it.
It's normal for premature babies to not be able to stand up or anything, we usually reccomend that they stay in a cup lined with dry paper towels, in the incubator until the yolk is absorbed

It sounds like yours is doing okay, can you get a picture?

This is as of right now

Attachments

• PXL_20230521_000151921.jpg
    PXL_20230521_000151921.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 3
Nope. It finally got that small and never shrunk anymore. He is a week old today. Eating n drinking. Swimming. N now is eyes have crusted over so I just bout medicine for them. Are they related? Is he sick?

Back
Top Bottom