Baby Ducklings having leg issues??!

DurkinDucks

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
New England
Hi, this is my first time raising ducklings and I am having some issues with it already. I bought my ducklings from Metzer Farms and got serval varieties, right now I am left with a rouen, blue swedish, 2 gold star hybrids, and an unidentifiable breed. I have lost 5 ducklings over the last month to "leg issues" this seems to occur after I let them bathe around. Soon one duckling will not be able to move a leg, and within 24 hours he will be dead. What could be going wrong, they have a constant supply of water and starter food. They are currently under an 85 degree temp with no drafts. I am using hay as there bedding. What do you think could be going on?

Please help!!

They need niacin, electrolytes, vitamins etc. There is not enough for ducklings in the feed you are getting. No manufacturer puts enough in it. It is enough for when they are 3 month old, but not as duckling. You need to go to the pharmacy or walmart and get a niacin supplement from the vitamin department. Then you need to mix 100mg to one gallon of water. Give them that to drink daily for one week (no other water for drinking), and then once per week until they are 3 month old. After that once per month should do. Niacin is vitamin b3. They need it for muscle, leg control and brain functions. They do die, if they don't get enough of it. A good product to buy is:
https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=231

How old are they that they are still on 85 degree heat. Mine are off heat by the time they are 2.5 weeks old. Also make sure that you dry them off after swimming, if they are under 3 weeks of age.

Last edited:
What Katharinad says! I had a Rouen who seemed to be having legs issues at about 1 week old...like they weren't strong enough to hold him/her up. He/she kept sitting down all the time. I added the niacin and Vitamins/Electrolytes Plus to the water along with organic unprocessed apple cider vinegar and within a couple of days the Rouen was totally fine. I've also had the heat lower than they say. Even as day olds, 90F was too much. They are 2 and 3 weeks old now and it's at 75F. No idea if heat has anything to do with it, but just FYI.

So sorry for your losses
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom