1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby EE Cant Stand UP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dorothy1324, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Dorothy1324

Dorothy1324 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    I am wondering if anyone can help with this we had a mom Hatch 11 babies well one of them started limping a little and then 2 days later i found it under the house unable to stand up i brought it in the house and put it in a box it still eats and drinks and chirps just can not stand up. I hate to have to put it to sleep i have never had to do this befor but we can not have a chick suffer:( They are 3 weeks old

She is up and moving

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  2. Dorothy1324

Jun 21, 2007
    anyone got any advice my 8 year old daughter is torn up about a sick baby

3. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Awww. Are its legs out to it's side? It could be splay or spraddle leg. If so there is a way to treat it. Can you post a pic?

4. Dorothy1324

Jun 21, 2007
    i would like to post a pic but my camera broke the legs go forward a little and then out a little the elbow joint is a little puffy. she is trying to stand a little and if i put my finger under her feet she does close them around my finger

5. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

6. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Is there any sign of why it might not be able to stand up? Are it's legs in a funny position, as the posters above me have suggested? Are the feet or toes curled or deformed? Are there any visible signs of injury?

7. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Oops, sorry, you answered before I posted.

Is it both elbow joints that look puffy, or just one?

8. Dorothy1324

Jun 21, 2007
    Great News I have been giving the little lady antibiotics from the start and now she is standing up and walking on her own still a little wobbly but up and moving none the less !!!!!!!!!!!! So Maybe she had some weird infection:D[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by