HELP Wobbly Day Old Chick

Roo-Ma

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2023
Good Morning!
We hatched 3 baby Seramas over Friday, and Saturday. It was a dragging Hatch. The Chick in question pipped first, around 7am Friday Morning, and didn't hatch until about 5am Saturday Morning. Another hatchling did peck it's head upon arrival. It's beeping, and trying so hard. However, it is unable to fully stand up for long. It will tip over, and sort of scoot around on its side instead of standing. When we dip it's beak in the water, it drinks. We have also saw it trying to eat. It simply can't get off it's side long enough to do much of anything. All the other chicks have had similar hatching, and are now walking, eating, drinking very well. What should we do to try to help? TIA!

Attachments

• IMG_0235.jpeg
    IMG_0235.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0236.jpeg
    IMG_0236.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0238.jpeg
    IMG_0238.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 7
Can you have someone hold it and get a closer look to see where the problem is?

Tagging some experts here, they'll need more pictures.

@Wyorp Rock @azygous @Eggcessive please help newly hatched chick can't stand (not assisted)
My Daughter, and I have checked it all the way around. Other than the walking? It's doing fantastic. It beeps, it snuggles to it's friends, it loves water, and is interested in the food. It just flops over, and rolls instead of walking around. (Like Happy Feet. 😂)

I am not an expert of hatching problems, but some weak chicks may struggle or die after problems hatching. I would start some human b complex vitamins or vitamins that contain riboflavin daily. A small wineglass or cup can be used to stand the chick up in the brooder to help the chick learn to stand. Hopefully, it will improve, but it may not. Good luck.

I am not an expert of hatching problems, but some weak chicks may struggle or die after problems hatching. I would start some human b complex vitamins or vitamins that contain riboflavin daily. A small wineglass or cup can be used to stand the chick up in the brooder to help the chick learn to stand. Hopefully, it will improve, but it may not. Good luck.
Thank you for your advice! We will cross our fingers, try all we can, and hope for the best.

Welcome To BYC

Hope for the best. Try placing her in a cup and giving her the vitamins for the next day or so.
Unfortunately, a lot of times chicks like this don't thrive, so if necessary you may need to let her go. It's the pits for sure and a hard thing to do. If you find that it comes to that, this article will help you through it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-for-squeamish-people-slightly-graphic.74734/

Welcome To BYC

Hope for the best. Try placing her in a cup and giving her the vitamins for the next day or so.
Unfortunately, a lot of times chicks like this don't thrive, so if necessary you may need to let her go. It's the pits for sure and a hard thing to do. If you find that it comes to that, this article will help you through it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-for-squeamish-people-slightly-graphic.74734/
Thank you! That's where we are currently. Going to try to give the little thing a few days to hopefully figure it out. We will keep everyone updated!

What should we do to try to help?
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

I see some good recommendations made already. If your in the US and have access.. poultry nutri drench sometimes works wonders.. Other supplements like Rooster Booster (brand) Poultry Cell or Poultry Booster.. are also good options!

You might crush the feed a little extra or wet it some into a mash to make it easier to eat (this especially helps for bantams in MY experience).. Some chicks can look like they're eating but not actually be connecting with the food. You might be able to feel for it's crop (or even see it) and compare to the chicks you KNOW are actually eating and make sure it IS filling up.

The Chick in question pipped first, around 7am Friday Morning, and didn't hatch until about 5am Saturday Morning.
It's normal for chicks to take up to 24 hours after pip sometimes before they start unzipping and fully hatch. So that's not really dragging.

The good news about being pecked on the head by another chick.. is that they're built the same.. and likely no damage was caused.. kinda different than being pecked by an older bird or other species.

Embryonic failure to hatch according to what day they quit starts around page 51 with other hatch anomaly causes seen shortly after in the following link..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

I would treat the tipping over symptom as something similar to star gazing.. if the legs are not splayed at all.. (and consider both to be *possible* nutrient deficiency in the hatching egg, noting that hatching *sometimes* requires more nutrients than just laying or surviving for specific individuals)

https://blog.meyerhatchery.com/2017/08/wry-neck-in-chickens/

One key for chicks that aren't mobile.. is making sure they aren't trampled and also that they are in a comfortable zone since they may not be able to move into or out of the warmth.

Congrats on your hatch! :wee

Hope this baby starts to thrive! :fl

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

I see some good recommendations made already. If your in the US and have access.. poultry nutri drench sometimes works wonders.. Other supplements like Rooster Booster (brand) Poultry Cell or Poultry Booster.. are also good options!

You might crush the feed a little extra or wet it some into a mash to make it easier to eat (this especially helps for bantams in MY experience).. Some chicks can look like they're eating but not actually be connecting with the food. You might be able to feel for it's crop (or even see it) and compare to the chicks you KNOW are actually eating and make sure it IS filling up.

It's normal for chicks to take up to 24 hours after pip sometimes before they start unzipping and fully hatch. So that's not really dragging.

The good news about being pecked on the head by another chick.. is that they're built the same.. and likely no damage was caused.. kinda different than being pecked by an older bird or other species.

Embryonic failure to hatch according to what day they quit starts around page 51 with other hatch anomaly causes seen shortly after in the following link..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

I would treat the tipping over symptom as something similar to star gazing.. if the legs are not splayed at all.. (and consider both to be *possible* nutrient deficiency in the hatching egg, noting that hatching *sometimes* requires more nutrients than just laying or surviving for specific individuals)

https://blog.meyerhatchery.com/2017/08/wry-neck-in-chickens/

One key for chicks that aren't mobile.. is making sure they aren't trampled and also that they are in a comfortable zone since they may not be able to move into or out of the warmth.

Congrats on your hatch! :wee

Hope this baby starts to thrive! :fl
Thank you for all the information!
We have been doing a crumble/nutradrench/water mash this morning. It seems to be taking to that as far as fullness goes.
We also have it in a tiny, clear container, under the plate, "away" from anybody that could trample it.
Unfortunately, as of yet, it is still not able to stand. It seems to be getting wore out.

We are trying what we can, and will keep everyone updated!

Back
Top Bottom