Baby emu pen

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by The Sheriff, Jan 7, 2012.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    My 2 little spoiled three-day-olds just moved from a small hampster cage into their new digs. I have a dog playpen set up on the day bed in my office on top of a tarp. The mattress is a kidpedic memory foam mattress and it is hard as a rock so please don't fret about them being on a soft surface. When they get bigger I'll slide plywood under if it is a problem. They have a heat lamp at one end with a crawl-in sleeping bag. At the other end they have the big Brinsea contact brooder with a little bed underneath. They have lots of hanging bird toys with bling and a mirror with a bell on it. They have food and water and lots of space to run around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Awwww! [​IMG]

3. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    [​IMG] Too Cute. Congrats.... be watching the Icelandic thread, so I popped over here to see more baby pics. Waiting on results. [​IMG] for the girls.

4. Irine

Irine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Los Angeles Area
    Congrats [​IMG] they are so cute. I see you have tags on them [​IMG] do they have names yet?

5. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    No Irine, the shell membranes were sent for DNA sexing so they won't be named until I get the results. Should be Tuesday.

6. Irine

Irine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Los Angeles Area
    Quote:Will keep my fingers crossed, it would be just perfect if they are girls

7. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Me too! Thanks. I'll post as soon as I know. [​IMG]

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

When you get the results.... Please post pics of their top head pattern on the thread I made.....l so we can keep track and discuss results....
    [​IMG]

9. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:I took top of the head picture just for you! I already posted them on my blog but will wait and post here when the DNA results are in.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The kicker is you had a girl at one point. I think Knock Knock is going to want her sleeping bag back. [​IMG]

I'm gonna have to come over and help spoil them for you. You know, to relieve the burden from you and Michael.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by