baby goat emergency (she's a LOT better) - updated with pictures!

good news about the little ones; hope they continue to improve and mama lets them nurse freely and without a fuss! Congrats on your beautiful babies!
smile.png

The little doeling is back to not doing well. Not wanting to eat, and generally weak. I read about 'weak kid syndrome' and she fits the bill. She can stand but is not strong.

She still does not have much of a sucking reflex. She nursed a little this morning (wouldn't nurse at all at 1 am). It was not very much - especially compared to the bucky boys. I tube fed her a couple more oz. of milk.

After a lengthy phone consultation with the vet, he suggested giving her a shot of LA200 antibiotic. I got some and am getting ready to administer it.

I need to make sure IM points are the same for goats as they are for horses, and also to make sure that 18g is an appropriate needle size. Wish I had a 22g on hand.

Mama goat, while not being a good mother, is being easy to handle and milk. Didn't even have to tie her up to milk out a few oz. for the kid this morning. Can't decide if I love her or hate her.

smile.png

I give IM to babies in the hind leg, point toward the space between the legs in the big muscle. We often give IM shots in the neck (like with horses) but only on larger animals, babies just don't seem to have enough muscle.

Thank you for that info!

I already gave the shot - found out it could be done SQ - but the IM info is really good for next time. And actually, I gave the SQ shot in just the location & direction you are talking about...
smile.png
It might have ended up being IM. The muscles are so small on these newborns that it's hard for me to tell.

Question: When you take a baby goats temperature, how far in does the thermometer go? Probably a stupid question, but I'm used to horses and I don't want to take a chance on hurting the baby. The thermometer I have is for equines, so it's kind of long.

Diluted the LA200 by adding 2cc of sterile water so it wouldn't burn so much (I read that it's OK to do that).

The good thing is the doeling was up and schmooping around mama when I went out, so I think the tube feeding this morning did some good. She doesn't feel or act strong, but at least she's up and moving. I milked a tiny bit out of mama and baby licked it off my glove (that's a good sign for her), but she did not take the teat. No worries, because

next feeding: 12:00

Just hang in there, she might get strong enough to go to momma. If not you have a great start on a bottle baby there! Just don't give up on her. It is tiring and time consuming and a lot of work. WELL worth the effort when you see them bouncing around the yard playing with bro and sis!

It goes far enough into the goat that the little silver end disappears (less than 1/4"). Be careful and go straight in, you can rupture them.

I personally would bottle feed her to make sure you know how much she is nursing. To take the temp you dont have to go in to far like horses. less than a inch. I keep a thermometer that I got at Wal mart...$3 and its for my goats only. Its digital and works pretty fast. Yep I would milk mom and make sure the bottle is really warm and only feed her 4 times a day. She is old enough to go all nite without a bottle and this way you will know if she is eating or not. I put a pinch of baking soda in my bottles only in the morning and it seems to help with floppy kid syndrom. Yep LA200 does sting, BioMycin dont. I use Boimycin unless I cant get it and then use LA200. You need to give her the shots for at least 5 to 7 days.

Thanks for the info on taking temperature - I will pick up a better thermometer. I have a nice digital Brinsea in the 'bator that I could use...

Vet said I only need to give the LA200 every other day. He said that is one of the nice things about using it versus other types of antibiotic.

Will try to find a better bottle nipple for her today in town. I have the grey Lambar type, and they are just too big and stiff.

Any thoughts on what type of nipple? I wouldn't mind bottle feeding her.

we got a regular HUMAN baby bottle with the old straight nipples and our goats LOVED them! They are a little bigger than the red ones that go on a pop bottle at our feed store but I liked them much better. I bought 4 of them so we could wash one and let it dry good before the third feeding and switched off.

Back
Top Bottom