baby goats

Please don't let her split them up. I raise goats and also sell them in pairs or trios. You must think of the mential health/welfare of the animal. If she can't keep both, she should not get them. These are herd animals...they are "wired" in such a way that they need to be with their own kind to be the happiest.

Seriously, if you're going to have 1 goat you may as well have two. THat lone goat will be miserable and it's wrong of her to lie to the breeder!

Yep. It is much easier to have two anyway. They will keep each other company and won't be yelling for you all of the time. The breeder is doing the right thing in reducing her price and selling two to your friend. I'll bet if you and your friend get 4 wethers the price will be less. Either way $25 for a wethered goat is a fair price.​

As a breeder I would be ticked to find out someone was doing this.

As a person with experience of having a lone goat. Please go to the breeder and explain what you are planning. Really if your friend is going to get a goat I don't see what the big deal is with getting one more. I would say if she won't take two like the breeder wants she shouldn't get them at all. Just saying. Not wanting to be rude.

I had a lone goat. And it was a bad bad experience. And I still pay for it every day.

Do you or your friend have other farm animals? They may not be the happiest but better than being all alone.....like a baby calf, outdoor dogs, chickens, mini horses, or a pigs....may work in a pinch....if you don't want to many animals or whatever the reason may be.

Quote:
You beat be to it! As I was reading this I was thinking I need to post that link. Well I agree with everything said. Also, your friend may want to know that goats shouldn't live off just weeds. They need at least good hay and maybe grain if she is preggers or lactating. God Bless with your goaties. I'm getting two babies Sunday!

She has an ouside dog, I have chickens, (and more but they all stay inside)

I called her and talked to her for over an hour last night explaining all this to her, and told her that I didnt want the other goat, she still only wants one, and this is what worries me...... What will happen to the other one if WE dont take it!? I dont want a goat as large as the Alpines as we only have an acre in the city, and I feel like a dwarf would be better suited for our area as it is, but if she wont keep them both I worry about the other one! UGh and Sighhhhhhhh, she is 24 has a 3 yr old, and was just diagnosed with MS, she is doing a MS cure walk this morning but we are supposed to get together this afternoon, I will show her this thread when we meet today, so that maybe she can see it for herself!

Quite frankly, someone should warn the breeder that this woman only wants to keep one goat. If I ever found out that one of my goats was living alone, I would be livid and probably go over there and take it back. What a cruel person. You shouldn't have to take the other goat just because she doesn't want it. She should either take 2 goats or none at all.

Quote:
I agree, and that is what I told her last night, I told her I would allow one of my rats to leave here with out another! They are just like the goats and need a companion

I am going to have to agree with everyone else and say that buying the goats with the intent of only keeping one when the breeder thinks they are going as a pair is dishonest. She at least needs to be up front with the breeder about only getting one and let it be the breeders decision as to if he/she will let a single goat go. I personally will never let a goat go to a new home alone and buyers sign a contract stating that the goat will never be an only goat because it is so vital for their mental as well as physical health to have at least one buddy. I would be very upset if I was "tricked" into selling a goat that was not going live with the owner I placed it with. If I felt in any way the seller was not going to put the goats needs first when they came to visit I would deny the adoption. Just because someone wants a goat as a cool pet or backyard weedeater does not mean they are really ready for goats I think its a decision not to take lightly.

As far as care
they need fed a quality hay at least once or twice a day even if grazing
clean water source at all times
secure fence to keep dogs(especially family or neighborhood dogs) away
hoof trims every 3-6 months
deworming if needed
CDT vaccination annually
shelter to get out of rain and wind

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom