Baby Khaki Campbell swollen cheek/ tiny :( Help please!

Gwen Fuller

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2017
I am brand new to ducklings. We have 14 Khaki Campbell's from Metzer's and all are doing good except the runt. She was always tiny but now has developed a huge swelling on her cheek, not the eye. I see no scratches. It is soft. I added apple cider vinegar to her water (1 scant T per gallon) and let her dunk her head in the bowl first at every fill to clean herself out. I add electrolytes to the drinking water, a powder called rooster booster, and feed them TSC brand unmedicated organic chick starter with nutritional yeast flakes. They have chick grit with probiotics and nibble dandelion greens. I keep her bedding fresh and they are outdoors in a puppy pen with a tarp for shade over half of it, a bowl of fresh water, and a straw box to nestle in. I keep them indoors at night in the house in a plastic lined box with straw and puppy pads under a heat lamp if chilly. Should I buy an antibiotic? If so, what kind for a two week old very scrawny duckling? I am afraid she is not going to survive without more help. She is eating and acting normal but perhaps not growing really at all. I wish I knew someone in my area with more expertise than me! Please forgive my ignorance, this is my first batch of ducks.

Thank you, yes!
20170621_204814.jpg

Is there any drainage any open place on the swelling? have you checked inside of her mouth for maybe feed packed in her "cheek"
Could be an abscess but I think that would happen from an injury.

I really don't know but hopefully @casportpony or @Ravynscroft or @Pyxis have encountered something along these lines.

Thank you SO MUCH for your help and advice! I am in over my head a little with 5 boys ages 7 and under and the ducklings, and now a sick one. My husband talked to someone at the local feed store just a bit ago based on the probable sinus infection diagnosis. He recommended Tylan 50... but that means we have to give her a shot...which makes me nervous. My husband's daughter is diabetic so he is used to syringes, I suppose we could try giving her a dose. I assume I will have to get a weight on her she is so tiny!

Thank you SO MUCH for your help and advice! I am in over my head a little with 5 boys ages 7 and under and the ducklings, and now a sick one. My husband talked to someone at the local feed store just a bit ago based on the probable sinus infection diagnosis. He recommended Tylan 50... but that means we have to give her a shot...which makes me nervous. My husband's daughter is diabetic so he is used to syringes, I suppose we could try giving her a dose. I assume I will have to get a weight on her she is so tiny!

Yes, you do need her weight to give her an antibiotic... but if I remember correctly, Tylan is really hard on birds when injected, I believe you can give it to her orally... you'll have to draw it out with a needle, but then can give it orally... @casportpony will know for sure about Tylan and dosage, just need her weight... :)

Back
Top Bottom