Baby Khaki Campbell swollen cheek/ tiny :( Help please!

Gwen Fuller

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2017
I am brand new to ducklings. We have 14 Khaki Campbell's from Metzer's and all are doing good except the runt. She was always tiny but now has developed a huge swelling on her cheek, not the eye. I see no scratches. It is soft. I added apple cider vinegar to her water (1 scant T per gallon) and let her dunk her head in the bowl first at every fill to clean herself out. I add electrolytes to the drinking water, a powder called rooster booster, and feed them TSC brand unmedicated organic chick starter with nutritional yeast flakes. They have chick grit with probiotics and nibble dandelion greens. I keep her bedding fresh and they are outdoors in a puppy pen with a tarp for shade over half of it, a bowl of fresh water, and a straw box to nestle in. I keep them indoors at night in the house in a plastic lined box with straw and puppy pads under a heat lamp if chilly. Should I buy an antibiotic? If so, what kind for a two week old very scrawny duckling? I am afraid she is not going to survive without more help. She is eating and acting normal but perhaps not growing really at all. I wish I knew someone in my area with more expertise than me! Please forgive my ignorance, this is my first batch of ducks.

Is there any drainage any open place on the swelling? have you checked inside of her mouth for maybe feed packed in her "cheek"
Could be an abscess but I think that would happen from an injury.

I really don't know but hopefully @casportpony or @Ravynscroft or @Pyxis have encountered something along these lines.

She's fluffy but bony. The can is heavier. She is probably 2/3 of the cans weight....

Maybe try drinking it down until it matches as close to her weight as you can get, then mark a line on the outside where the liquid level is at... then Kathy can use same level in a can and weigh it to get close/approx weight...

Just a thought...

Back
Top Bottom