Baby lost her mama

Check everywhere and no sign of her try the baby was upset and chirping and wandering around in the house is looking for I think, calling for, and then when all the other chickens ran back to go under the Willow tree she went with them and quieted down
I've been sad for babies too, it's heart breaking. :hugs

That sounds like good news for the chick not being picked on given the (probable) circumstances (many may not realize mum is missing yet). Chickens are highly adaptable, hardy creatures. Chick will try to follow what the others do.. that's in it's nature as a flock animal.. First indicators are good.

Trees are perfect roost spots for ambush predators. Chickens have short attention spans and quickly forget they saw a hawk land nearby (if that was it).. Do you have a covered/enclosed run big enough for your flock if you need to consider going on lock up for a couple days.. while the threat may be past for today, it may be back tomorrow.. I've had varied experiences with one random missing bird.. but most often the predator returns to the open buffet. Which is NOT said to fear monger.. but to help mitigate more losses if possible. I prefer free ranging but do have to go on lock up at times for short periods.. and don't consider it cruel when I'm saving lives.. I do accept some risk.. but when it's too high and costing me lots.. then I do what's in all our best interest, according to the situation at the time. (Flock dynamics, coop/run space, weather pattern, predator pressure, etc.. it's complex.)

It’s 96 today and in the 70s at night. I’m in Medford oregon
It''ll probably be fine with enough shavings, presuming (as a creature of habit) it will return to the box mom was occupying nightly (until it's able to get on roost). If you are concerned you could put a little warming box (upside down cardboard with door cut out) over the top (after dark) to reflect it's heat.. Me, if it had other chicks no big deal.. but I personally would over think it some and (maybe) scoop shavings closer or something to help keep warmth retained over night... at 4 weeks 80 degrees is ABOUT right for comfort (and warning up).. so 70 isn't too bad.. If I'm being real though.. my daytime highs rarely reach 70.. your coop may be plenty without any added help.. Others are clearly less concerned than myself.. which may indicate my response is a BIT overthought. (and I know it is) :oops:

I'm in Crescent City, so we're *kinda* neighbors. :frow

Will she follow them in at night?
I've never had a hen follow her babies before. Usually hens always push the chicks hard to keep up, and they don't coddle them. Chicks are expected to keep up and stay with mother- or they die

I have week old babies outside right now and their mother is 15' in a tree, making purring noises, encouraging them to fly

These moms will not come down for their chicks at all, but they will attack anything that they think threatens their young

Moms only go easy and sit on the ground for the first week of life here

Back
Top Bottom