Baby lost her mama

Asiacady

Hatching
Sep 8, 2022
Please help I have a 3 1/2 week old baby chick that her mama has disappeared idk if hawk got her or what have walked the property and can’t find her or any feathers. The baby is under the willow tree all the chickens like it under there it’s very cool and covered will the other hens take over mom duties? Idk what to do I’m asking everyone thank you

will the other hens take over mom duties?
No they won't usually.. but they may not brutalize the chick if Mum's done well at integration already. Sometimes roosters will still call chicks to feed, etc..

Usually there is a group of chicks that can huddle together at night.. How are you're overnight temps?

Is the chick distressed and calling for it's mom? If she wasn't the one that told it to wait then it should be very upset, in my experience.

Have you checked the lay box.. some hens return to lay and tell the chicks to wait somewhere they''ll be back! :fl

At 3 1/2 weeks, the chick would be close to being weaned from mom (sometimes a violent process). If it has been in the coop with the others since it hatched, it should be fine.
At 3 1/2 weeks, the chick would be close to being weaned from mom (sometimes a violent process). If it has been in the coop with the others since it hatched, it should be fine.
I hope so I went out there again and she is chirping around still looking for her mom
shes still looking for her mom but also following the other hens and rooster. None of them are picking on the baby so that’s a good sign

I hope so I went out there again and she is chirping around still looking for her mom
In my experience orphaned chicks over 2 weeks of age are usually fine
I hope so fingers crossed and so far nobody is picking on her she is under the willow tree with all of them I hope she follows them in when it’s time for bed

No they won't usually.. but they may not brutalize the chick if Mum's done well at integration already. Sometimes roosters will still call chicks to feed, etc..

Usually there is a group of chicks that can huddle together at night.. How are you're overnight temps?

Is the chick distressed and calling for it's mom? If she wasn't the one that told it to wait then it should be very upset, in my experience.

Have you checked the lay box.. some hens return to lay and tell the chicks to wait somewhere they''ll be back! :fl
Check everywhere and no sign of her try the baby was upset and chirping and wandering around in the house is looking for I think, calling for, and then when all the other chickens ran back to go under the Willow tree she went with them and quieted down

I didn’t know that is was a violent process I hope it follows the hens into the coop at night. They are all together under the willow tree without anyone picking on her I keep going out to check

I’ve checked everywhere I’m so sad for the baby

Back
Top Bottom