Baby Quail food.....?

No flock raiser has too low of protein and other nutrients. Try to find a poultry feed with 24-28% protein. If your stuck with purina the turkey starter would be better. I know a button quail breeder that can't get gamebird starter so uses a feed aimed toward turkey and guinea fowl then ups the protein another 3% with some soybean meal.

Last edited:
You can also grind up some high proten dry cat food and mix it in.

The cat food I have used had 30% protein and mixed it in with chick starter.. the quail love it and eat it up.

Last edited:
Cat food is debateable. I definitely wouldn't use the cheap stuff from the grocery store. I might use evo or california natural. Make sure to provide them with grit if you feed anything other than poultry feed. You can get parakeet grit at any petstore.

Quote:
Protien content is still protien content which ever way you look at it, that i know of they aren't allowed to lie about protien percentages. I used store brand kibble (ground up) as well as Instinct Canned cat food for mine. I personally offer grit and oyster shell daily to my birds no matter what i feed them they eat it so they surely need it
wink.png
smile.png

I personally only give catfood to my birds once a week, as well as once a week a boiled egg. They also get bugs (no pesticides around here) and I offer them cooked left over meat but they really dont seem to understand they can eat it so it ends up going to the chickens.
smile.png

Niki

Darn it. I can't seem to find the turkey/game food anywhere. Anyone in the Portland, OR area buy this stuff? And where? My feed stores do not appear to carry it. I have a few more in phone book to try.......

Cat food may have to do as a high protein filler....lets see if they even hatch first (day 23 for Bob White today).

Well....I have a quail running around my bator and flock raiser is all I have on hand...no car until hubby gets home and then everything is closed....any ideas? Is it better than nothing or just wait until tomorrow?

I am so excited........ut I don't want to screw up with him/her (whatever this lil chick is!).

Back
Top Bottom