Baby Turken with injured eye!? Please help...

Kasumi

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2020
I’ve got a turken that’s almost 4 weeks old, I’m not sure if its a boy or a girl, but 4-5 days ago she started displaying issues with depth perception and was sleeping a little more. I made notice that she was babying the eye when I examined all the chicks, but I didn’t think much of it except that they might’ve scratched their eye and was babying it. I’ve had that happen before in another brood a while back and the other chick and the time turned out great regardless. But today I noticed she was scratching her eye on her shoulder while it was closed. I immediately took them out and examined them again. Their actual eye on the left side is bulging slightly and is cloudy with red in the center where the pupil is, the rest of the eye however isn’t white. The flesh around her eye isn’t is what’s swollen however. I also noticed that the turken has awful depth perception and it seemed like the chick was still getting used to the fact that it couldn’t see well out of its left eye. I though that maybe it might be cataracts, but I’m really worried that it may be mericks or something else. I feel terrible that I didn’t notice it sooner...I just want to help anyway I can. I don’t have anyway I could take the chick to the vet, does anyone know what this might be?...
I’ll leave some pictures to help give an idea of what it looks like. It was really hard to take a picture of them without them closing their bad eye, but maybe it might still help some...
Please...Any help would greatly be appreciated...

Thank you...

Attachments

• 687E784C-4C45-4255-9280-353E34050161.jpeg
    687E784C-4C45-4255-9280-353E34050161.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 2438B216-BFBA-4F6E-94EA-4BC84DB58932.jpeg
    2438B216-BFBA-4F6E-94EA-4BC84DB58932.jpeg
    445.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 3DA02247-7C90-42FD-A66D-EBA225878363.jpeg
    3DA02247-7C90-42FD-A66D-EBA225878363.jpeg
    493.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 0DB776A3-E0E1-4865-A7F0-DF8032327956.jpeg
    0DB776A3-E0E1-4865-A7F0-DF8032327956.jpeg
    221.5 KB · Views: 5
  • C22EA98D-7C21-42AC-9CF4-FDA5F60BB53A.jpeg
    C22EA98D-7C21-42AC-9CF4-FDA5F60BB53A.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 5
That doesn’t look like Mareks at all, but it looks like she has had a hemorrhage in her eye. I have had 2 different dogs who suffered hemorrhage in one eye, and both lost the sight. One had a brain tumor, the other we didn’t know why, and both had to be euthanized. Hopefully, she will keep the eye, but I would say that the eye will most likely be blind. I really don’t know if a peck to the eye would have caused that or not. Very sorry.

That doesn’t look like Mareks at all, but it looks like she has had a hemorrhage in her eye. I have had 2 different dogs who suffered hemorrhage in one eye, and both lost the sight. One had a brain tumor, the other we didn’t know why, and both had to be euthanized. Hopefully, she will keep the eye, but I would say that the eye will most likely be blind. I really don’t know if a peck to the eye would have caused that or not. Very sorry.
Thank you so much for the response. We’re going to be keeping a very close watch and see how she is in the next few days. We’re just hoping it isn’t anything that could possible turn life threatening.

It looks a bit cloudy. Before taking this picture did you wash the eye? Was there any discharge, slime, or crustiness surrounding the eye?

Just to be safe, you should quarantine this one away from the others and closely watch for swelling or any worsening of this issue. Take 'before' pictures so you can compare later. If you see any facial swelling, call the vet right away!

If she will allow you to touch her head, you can ease her misery a little. Soak an unused tea bag (plain black or green tea, not peppermint or fruit tea) in very warm water. Wring it out so it's moist but not dripping, make sure it's not too hot by testing it against your own skin, and hold it gently against her eye for a while. If she doesn't like it, don't force her. Just dabbing her eye with the warm tea bag will help pain and swelling.

It looks a bit cloudy. Before taking this picture did you wash the eye? Was there any discharge, slime, or crustiness surrounding the eye?

Just to be safe, you should quarantine this one away from the others and closely watch for swelling or any worsening of this issue. Take 'before' pictures so you can compare later. If you see any facial swelling, call the vet right away!

If she will allow you to touch her head, you can ease her misery a little. Soak an unused tea bag (plain black or green tea, not peppermint or fruit tea) in very warm water. Wring it out so it's moist but not dripping, make sure it's not too hot by testing it against your own skin, and hold it gently against her eye for a while. If she doesn't like it, don't force her. Just dabbing her eye with the warm tea bag will help pain and swelling.
Thank you so much did the response. We’ll try this and see if it helps her pain. She’s got no crust or discharge in her eye, but we’ll be sure to try the tea bag if she’ll let us

Thank you so much did the response. We’ll try this and see if it helps her pain. She’s got no crust or discharge in her eye, but we’ll be sure to try the tea bag if she’ll let us
Keep us posted! Tell us how she is doing tomorrow or if anything changes!

Looks like it could be simply a corneal injury/ulcer (which theoretically could be from a pole, whether a beak or something else) or corneal edema, or even possibly uveitis (not as likely) or something similar, to me. Intraocular swelling can happen for lots of reasons but treatments can differ depending on what the cause is. ideally a vet visit would be in this little ones very near future but I know that’s not always an option.
An eye that is swollen in that way is definitely painful. Warm compresses may give a little bit of relief but won’t treat the underlying cause. Personally, if a vet visit wasn’t a possibility, I would treat with an over the counter broad spectrum eye ointment or drop (not sure what you have available to you). It’s important to use the ophthalmic version of whatever drug you’re getting though, as topical neosporin and the like will actually damage the eye further. And definitely monitor to ensure no one is bothering at that eye.

Looks like it could be simply a corneal injury/ulcer (which theoretically could be from a pole, whether a beak or something else) or corneal edema, or even possibly uveitis (not as likely) or something similar, to me. Intraocular swelling can happen for lots of reasons but treatments can differ depending on what the cause is. ideally a vet visit would be in this little ones very near future but I know that’s not always an option.
An eye that is swollen in that way is definitely painful. Warm compresses may give a little bit of relief but won’t treat the underlying cause. Personally, if a vet visit wasn’t a possibility, I would treat with an over the counter broad spectrum eye ointment or drop (not sure what you have available to you). It’s important to use the ophthalmic version of whatever drug you’re getting though, as topical neosporin and the like will actually damage the eye further. And definitely monitor to ensure no one is bothering at that eye.
Thanks for letting us know, as sad as it is, I’m a bit optimistic that it might be something that’s not life threatening, we will be watching her closely as we provide electrolytes and medicated food as well as warm compress for her. Would a special type of eye drops or ointment for humans help? I have some eye drops but I won’t use them unless they’re safe for animals too. I really wish I could get her to a vet, but I don’t have a way to get her in because my car is broke down...

Thanks for letting us know, as sad as it is, I’m a bit optimistic that it might be something that’s not life threatening, we will be watching her closely as we provide electrolytes and medicated food as well as warm compress for her. Would a special type of eye drops or ointment for humans help? I have some eye drops but I won’t use them unless they’re safe for animals too. I really wish I could get her to a vet, but I don’t have a way to get her in because my car is broke down...
That’s ok, it doesn’t always work out to get them in. I’m just lucky to work for a livestock vet so it’s much easier for me to arrange a vet visit! :)

What kind of eye drops do you have, as in what’s the brand name/ingredient in it? You might be able to use them depending on what they are. I’m just not sure what is available to you there. In my area the only thing you can get over the counter would be polysporin ophthalmic ointment, which is the same general idea as neosporin. Fun fact: most eye meds used in animals are the people kind! :D

The 4th and 5th pics are the ones that look like the pupil is very dilated and red inside, indicating a bleed inside the eye. Is the eye red when you look at it?

Back
Top Bottom