Bachelor flock

runswithscissors

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 31, 2011
After letting one of our broody hens set, I am anticipating we will have several cockerels out of the 8 that were hatched.
Has anyone had success keeping a bachelor flock (separated from the hens)? Will they "get along" as they mature, or is aggression and fighting an inherent behavior amongst roosters?
I'd like to keep them, but don't want them in with the hens as we already have a rooster.

We have a "cock flock" in with our sheep. Some of them got along great, one of them insisted on getting out to live with our freee range flock, and some of them were just plain nasty to the other cockerels, very "rape-y" and constantly terrorizing them and attempting to kill them, even though there was plenty of room and feed. We didn't have time to butcher so we ending selling all but a handful and the pasture is much, much more zen. The remaining cockerels are happier and I'm happier too because I just can't afford to feed a lot of free-loading males who aren't earning their keep.

Here's a bantam Cochin riding on our Cormo wether. That little bantam just loves hanging out on the back of our sheep, especially when it's cold out.

FullSizeRender.jpg

How many hens do you have?
Not entirely sure right now...in addition to the 7 oldest hens, I purchased 10 straight run chicks plus the eight that were hatched by the broody. I'm not really great at identifying the cockerels vs. pullets (until they start to crow...lol) so I could have 18 roosters. :barnie

Well dependent on how many hens you have,you can have two or three roosters together as long as you have space and enough girls to split.Maybe pick one or two of your best cockerels to go with your road rooser and the hens.

Rooster flocks are great! I have one of nine and while it's not always peaceful, it's not the total sh*t show I was expecting it to be. The majority of my boys get along well with very little squabbling, but I do have an instigator that causes 90 percent of the trouble.

I found that roosters that grow up together have an easier time as a flock because they've already established their pecking order and sorted out each other's personalities. And yes, their personalities will determine how peaceful your flock is. Some boys just can't get along.

There are several things needed for a happy rooster flock: extra space, extra food/water stations, and entertainment.

And of course, keep them away from the hens and the hen flock's rooster.

These aren't rooster-specific so they'll work to keep your ladies entertained, too.
- Piles of straw/hay/old leaves for them to scratch around in
- Extra Perches
- A swing or two
- A spot for them to dust bathe
- Hanging foods (like a cabbage, broccoli, etc) that they can peck and dodge

Because I forgot to ask... What breed of chickens?

Because I forgot to ask... What breed of chickens?
okay...I'm covered in the 'entertainment' column. Since we can't free-range the chickens due to predators, our runs have lots of things to do to keep busy. :)
All are mixed breeds except for my one Buff Orpington (in the avatar pic). Is it possible to love a chicken? If so, I may just love her. :D

Back
Top Bottom