Bachelor flock?

nycampchickens

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2021
Hi all! I recently incubated and hatched my own chicks, and now I have 15 babies! They're about 6 1/2-7 weeks old as of today, and I'm starting to think about what I'm going to do with the roos (I count 7). I would like to keep a bachelor flock, but the only space we have to keep them they can still see and semi-interact with the hens. The hens are free range and will be able to approach them, but they're separated by a fence and chicken wire. Is this okay? Will this make the roos aggressive?

Hi all! I recently incubated and hatched my own chicks, and now I have 15 babies! They're about 6 1/2-7 weeks old as of today, and I'm starting to think about what I'm going to do with the roos (I count 7). I would like to keep a bachelor flock, but the only space we have to keep them they can still see and semi-interact with the hens. The hens are free range and will be able to approach them, but they're separated by a fence and chicken wire. Is this okay? Will this make the roos aggressive?
You could try but it would be easier just to rehome them or putting them on craiglist. Make sure they have enough space to spread out and run thought make their pen big.

My bachelor flock was mostly fine all spring with a shared fence for them to mope along and flirt through. I had to clip a few wings and eat a couple who were relentless fighters, but for most of my boys it did alright, and since they were all so nice tempered I was able to give several away too.
A bachelor flock probably won't work for all your boys, but it'll let you keep more than you otherwise would.

That setup is the same as I used for a few of my bachelor flocks. I find it also helps to give the roosters free ranging time (on alternate days than the hens, of course).

Back
Top Bottom