Bachelor pad? Rooster housing question

Chicken Fruit

Songster
10 Years
Feb 25, 2009
Echo Homestead
I've had such a demand for birds this year that we decided just to try to breed our own. I have a few rooster chicks this time around- and for breeding purposes I obviously need to keep them away from certain hens.

Should I just go ahead and separate each breed with their appropriate rooster and have a coop/run for each, or can I just keep the roosters in their own little bachelor coop until I am ready to stick them with the hens for fertile eggs?

i can think of a few reasons that make this impossible, and a few that make it seem plausible.

What works for you, and what are your thoughts?

A few roosters kept in a pen by themselves equals alot of fighting and possible injury. I would keep the roosters and appropriate hens together.

yeah I think i should either keep the roosters in their own separate areas, or else separate them with their respective hens.

We only had one rooster in all my years as a farm kid. And he only got old enough to be a pain in the butt and make a nice table bird
tongue.png
I dont know how cock fights didnt cross my mind before I asked this... hahaha.

I think I have that cleared up now.. lol.

Thanks guys.

I had some questions about roosters - i wont 1 I like the crowing - then I read an article where the rooster was allowed to range daily with the hens and was put up each night --- hmm - girls need their rest - wondering how practical that would be -

I keep 4 roos with about 30 hens and there is no fighting. there is one "boss" roo and three underlings. I think it really depends on your individual flock dynamics

I've had chickens for years and always had at least 1 rooster with my hens. Sometimes several. I've never had any reason to put my rooster up separately at night. They've always gone to sleep with the girls. I don't keep a light on at night either, but I doubt that would make a difference.

I raise Rooster Specifically and find that most roosters from the same brood will get along fine when kept together in their own pen. At times I have had up to 12 or more together in a pen with only minor flare ups that resolve quickly. The issues arise when you change this arrangement. Examples. Hens around, in sight or earshot, Removing a bird and then returning it. Introduction of a new bird. Issues such at these will change the harmony of a bachelor group quickly and probably permanantly.

I find that once birds reach maturity individual pens are best. You only move the roosters to the hens for breeding which gives you total control over your flock / breeding program.
When not breeding the roosters are in their quarters which gives the hens a break.

When kept in this fashion most of the roosters get very accustomed to the ritual of daily feeding and human contact. Most of my roosters are very docile and friendly .

Keeping your roosters in individual pens also controls their environment. You will be able to evaluate your breeders more accurately and make improvements to the quality of your birds more accurately and quickly.

Fly

I have to agree with fly fisher

This year is the first to separate my roosters and they have become just like pets
they got accustom to my handling and feeding them, never happen before when they free ranged

In the past there was always many problems with roosters running with the hens, regardless if they came from
the same hatching or not so many of them made the pot quickly hoping I picked the correct roosters to harvest

Also my hens got no rest always a fuss going on in the yard

Since I am raising genetic birds this year I really need to know who is breeding the hens to carry on the next group of genes

Ed

If you do separate them indivdually having a rotating larger run they can take turns in gives them an opportunity to stretch there legs. Even individual pop door to access the run to make your life easier could be installed. Also, I find some breeds handle confinement better than others.

Back
Top Bottom