Back again... autopsy results- Pneumonia HELP

Bossmode

Songster
Aug 5, 2019
British Columbia
Hello dear chicken friends,

Back again, finally got results from an autopsy we done on one of our chickens that died right at the vet. Pneumonia it is, fungal infection... We have spent probably over $1000 CAD with all medications, several vet visits with many different chickens and an autopsy to top it off in the last 3 1/2 months, and the vets recommendation is to cull all chickens and start over as there is no treatment.

I am getting tired and my heart can take it no longer killing more of my babies.
Many just dropped dead, many I had to cull as they where nothing but suffering, so devastating and heart breaking. I am down to 16 chickens from 51! In just 3 1/2 months.

I received collidial silver in the mail finally a few days ago that i have been adding in drinking water, some people claim collidial silver is great, but producers can't claim any health benefits on labels as there is no proof that silver actually has any purpose in the body.
Anyways, i read collidial silver has to come into contact with whatever it is trying to kill/heal, so i started yesterday with a diffuser in the coop, also adding a tonne of essential oils as i researched and many essential oils can have a benefit killing fungus/bacteria etc.

I did notice a bit less sneezing today, hopefully the chickens inhaling this mixture will help them, or possibly cure them.

Is there really no pneumonia treatment for chickens?

I am sorry for your losses.
Did the vet send swabs off to the lab to test for other respiratory diseases?

eta....What does your coop look like?
Can you post pictures of it?

I am curious to see how the ventilation is.

She sent a whole chicken off to get fully analyzed. That is what the results were.

I have had same chickens for 3 1/2 years without any issues, until I purchased HAY this summer. We had a wet year and the hay was moldy, black, white & dusty as can be once i opened the bales at home.
I did not give it much thought and 'shook' The hay out and put it in the coop, i think that was the cause.

I use to use wood chips but the chickens ended up coughing alot, so i started with hay 2 years ago. It was perfect hay before and had no single issues, but got ripped off this year as i wanted to buy locally.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom