Backing up my incubator with my hens?

ChicksAre4Kids

Chirping
Jun 19, 2015
I spoil my chickens. They run up to me, hop in my lap, etc. When they're sick or injured, they get to spend time indoors at my feet
in a pet carrier being spoiled rotten, held in my lap. etc. My thought is IF I bring one inside, make a cozy nest at the end of the carrier, let her (whoever, probably booboo to start) set the eggs that will be conveniently placed IN that nest. She'll have nowhere else to sit, since the other end will have food and water bowls. I'm just wondering if anyone thinks she might actually GO broody via instinct and set them herself? If nothing else, I have plenty of hens I can rotate. Will that be sufficient daily time to incubate without her base instincts kicking in to KEEP her on the nest? It won't upset any of them since they've all been inside at one point or the other and know they get spoiled while in. My incubator is giving me grief and may not do the job.

CK

Well, that might work as a backup. What breeds do you have? I've had to play musical nests with a late hatching broodys' egg before (hens left nest with chicks), and it worked. Just don't count on it, though it is better than nothing.

The problem with your plan is if the Hen is not Broody? You can not force them to set the eggs...She will scratch the eggs around and walk all over them no matter how small the area is....I have 3 broody Hens one that hatched out chicks, one is setting eggs due to hatch next Wednesday and Duck eggs in my incubator....My other Known Broody will be used later in the spring......

Best of luck......

Cheers!

Thanks guys and gals. I have no hatchery hens, all of my girls were hatched by me from different breeds I liked and got local eggs for. Most were from one source, who also happens to be a dear friend. Except for the colloncas, most of my girls are larger breeds, maren, etc. some feather feet, some green legs.... I get a rainbow of eggs. I found a 12v fan to repair the incubator, so it's warming up now. Today is my 2 week "dead"line for the eggs to start incubating, so I was hoping I could use my girls as backup in case the box fails for whatever reason.

CK.

Thanks guys and gals. I have no hatchery hens, all of my girls were hatched by me from different breeds I liked and got local eggs for. Most were from one source, who also happens to be a dear friend. Except for the colloncas, most of my girls are larger breeds, maren, etc. some feather feet, some green legs.... I get a rainbow of eggs. I found a 12v fan to repair the incubator, so it's warming up now. Today is my 2 week "dead"line for the eggs to start incubating, so I was hoping I could use my girls as backup in case the box fails for whatever reason.

CK.

Glad to hear the problem was resolved.

You have an excellent plan.....I had a mixed up hatch so I gave eggs from my incubator to my one hen to hatch.....I messed up. She gladly took the eggs and hatched them out......

Best of luck.....possibly you will get Broodys that will set eggs and it is so much easier having a Hen do all the work......

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. I'm going to go ahead and bring BooBoo in (she wags her tail like a puppy when I'm around) for a day or two, just to spoil her rotten and let her get the idea.... I'll place some golf balls on the nest. IF she turns broody in a day or three, I'll swap the eggs to HER! I totally agree, use a hen if you can! EVERYone is happier that way.

CK

Back
Top Bottom