Backside featherless and very red.

Mark Cavalli

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2017
Hey all one of my chickens has no feathers on its bottom side and is very red is there something I can put on her to help with the dryness and redness . If you can help that would be awesome thank you.

Is her lower belly enlarged? Does her vent area smell bad? Can you get a picture? How are her poops looking? Have the others been pecking her feathers out? Sometimes boredome from not getting outside, overcrowding, or getting less that 16-20% of protein in the diet can cause feather or vent pecking. Look her over under and around her vent for tiny lice or mites. Nustock cream, a sulfur based pine scented cream can help heal and prevent pecking. BluKote spray can color the skin blue to help prevent pecking. Pine tar is messy, but useful in preventing pecking. Some feed stores sell those, and here is a link where to buy Nustock:
https://www.chewy.com/nu-stock-all-...0-pJjaTVGeszYroB0Zg2HMOUbLuABsRBoCzEoQAvD_BwE

Is her lower belly enlarged? Does her vent area smell bad? Can you get a picture? How are her poops looking? Have the others been pecking her feathers out? Sometimes boredome from not getting outside, overcrowding, or getting less that 16-20% of protein in the diet can cause feather or vent pecking. Look her over under and around her vent for tiny lice or mites. Nustock cream, a sulfur based pine scented cream can help heal and prevent pecking. BluKote spray can color the skin blue to help prevent pecking. Pine tar is messy, but useful in preventing pecking. Some feed stores sell those, and here is a link where to buy Nustock:
https://www.chewy.com/nu-stock-all-...0-pJjaTVGeszYroB0Zg2HMOUbLuABsRBoCzEoQAvD_BwE
She has no mites and has plenty a room for running around the problem was pecking. I separated the birds that was doing it. Now I find she's packing her self at times. I just worried about the redness and non-feathers in that area. I do appreciate you getting back to me. Like I said just very red and dry looking

I too would recommend that you check for swelling by cupping your hand and feeling between her legs and below her vent and then checking other hens of a similar breed or build to her. Red, bald patches below the vent are often as a result of swelling, perhaps caused by an internal issue like a reproductive issue or ascites (water belly). A photo of her back end would help and a photo of her poop. Sometimes they will preen themselves bald because the area is irritable or painful or to preen away poop soiled feathers which occur as a result of swelling in that area preventing poop dropping clear.
Do you know when she last laid an egg?

I too would recommend that you check for swelling by cupping your hand and feeling between her legs and below her vent and then checking other hens of a similar breed or build to her. Red, bald patches below the vent are often as a result of swelling, perhaps caused by an internal issue like a reproductive issue or ascites (water belly). A photo of her back end would help and a photo of her poop. Sometimes they will preen themselves bald because the area is irritable or painful or to preen away poop soiled feathers which occur as a result of swelling in that area preventing poop dropping clear.
Do you know when she last laid an egg?
Yes she laid in egg yesterday have not had one yet today she normally lays every day. I will do my best to get a picture For you to look at you could be right she does seem a little swollen but not real sure about that. Her breed is a Hoover black is what they call her I don't have another one of her breed. But all of the other girls seem to be just fine. If this was a concern would she stop laying eggs. She's very active and seems OK other than the redness andthe loss of feathers. Thank you for getting back to me I truly do appreciate it.

Since she is laying, she may just be red from the pecking. Some products that may hide or color the red area are BluKote spray, Nutstock Cream, or pine tar (very messy, but can work.) The idea is to hide the red or make pecking taste bad. The more they get out and the less time they spend bored or just hanging out, the less it occurs. It is a bad habit learned by other chickens.

Yes she laid in egg yesterday have not had one yet today she normally lays every day. I will do my best to get a picture For you to look at you could be right she does seem a little swollen but not real sure about that. Her breed is a Hoover black is what they call her I don't have another one of her breed. But all of the other girls seem to be just fine. If this was a concern would she stop laying eggs. She's very active and seems OK other than the redness andthe loss of feathers. Thank you for getting back to me I truly do appreciate it.
OK I just was holding her and she does seem a little swollen. I held one of my I just was holding her and she does seem a little swollen. I held one of my ISA brown's and she is actually not much difference in puffiness. If this is The problem is it curable. Because you might be onto something here like I said she is a little swollen.

Most of us who have had chickens for a number of years will see hens with swollen bellies, some from ascites or internal laying. Hatchery hens who are good layers can suffer from a variety of laying disorders.

But if she is still laying, that is a good sign. So I would just watch and wait, and try to end the pecking or feather picking.

Most of us who have had chickens for a number of years will see hens with swollen bellies, some from ascites or internal laying. Hatchery hens who are good layers can suffer from a variety of laying disorders.

But if she is still laying, that is a good sign. So I would just watch and wait, and try to end the pecking or feather picking.
Thank you she didn't lay yesterday and normally laysevery day but I will keep an ion her. And if she doesn't give me an egg today if you don't mind I will get back to you . But I do have a question is this problem curable in case in the future I have this problem.

Back
Top Bottom